Tuesday, July 29, 2008

My First Synergy Experience.

Hello Everyone,

My name is Erin and I am part way through a placement with the corporate affairs team at Synergy. I am currently in my final semester of a mass communications degree majoring in PR and Journalism with a minor in marketing. Recently I had decided that the journalism industry was not for me. I feel I lack the aggressive and forthright nature which is evident in a great and successful journalist. My placement at Synergy surprised me by re-instilling a sense of usefulness and purpose in the years and money I dedicated to my journalism course. I found skills I had learnt in my journalism units have come in very handy to date, but most importantly I found the course had given me the confidence to interview and approach those in the organisation in a professional manner. The first day in I organised and held a series of interviews to subsequently write a series of articles for Synchronise, the internal newsletter. By nature I am a very timid person, however I found the practice I had gained through my journalism background gave me the confidence I needed to conduct the task well.

I’d like to give you all a background into why I chose Synergy as a placement organisation. Hopefully it will help those who haven’t yet secured a placement to get themselves into somewhere which will provide the most valuable experience for your personality and interests. I am interested into getting into brand management and internal communications. I also however have a strong interest in the media and government sectors. Synergy, is a government owned corporation, which in the present social and economic situation is under intense scrutiny by the media (gas crisis, Garanaut report, rising electricity prices, Green paper etc). The company itself is presently in a situation of vast internal change after being one of four products of the disaggregation of Western Power. The Synergy brand is also facing large challenges as the public’s comprehension and recognition of it is seen to be rather low.

So far the placement has been one of the most rewarding experiences I have ever had. Working full time has proven to be a challenge, but I think getting up at 6am is for every student used to the University lifestyle. I love the people I work with and so far have definitely been spoilt with the jobs I have done and the perks of working for a large company. The corporate lunches and after work drinks certainly haven’t dampened my experience, or my prospects for working in the industry.

No comments: