Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Australian Trade Commmision- Perth

Hey Guys, my name is Michael and I am going to give you little insight into the organisation that I am currently with for my 393 Placement. I am just at the half way stage of my challenge and i must say that the experience that I have gained has been invaluable and I actually would not like to leave!

The Australian Trade Commission (Austrade) is the right wing of the governments trade and investment agency and is part of the Foreign Affairs and Trade portfolio. I was particularly excited to be be part of such an important organisation because international relations is an Aspect of PR that i connected with the best. Austrade's mission statement is "Helping Australians do Business across the Globe". The government initiative is to provide Businesses with the know how, resources and contacts across the globe, in order to expand their company through exportation of their goods or services.

Working at Austrade has challenged all the aspects of public relations that i have learnt through out my course. Particularly:

  • Internal Relations- Liaison between staff in the Perth office, nation wide offices and international posts in over 60 countries (1o1 locations)

  • International Relations/External Relations- Research of different countries and cultures is crucial to the service provided by Austrade

  • Event management- Austrade Perth will host a numerous amount of events for a variety of different functions. (of which i will go into in later posts)

The first ten days have been really tough because it is a very intimidating environment. Every day in the office I am surrounded by people with a wealth of knowledge and experience. My main focus and challenge is to be as "leachful" as possible and try and learn from the professionals in the industry. This means that every task I am handed needs to be undertaking promptly and diligently. Well I hope this Gives Everyone an insight to What my placement is about and how it is all going for me. looking Forward to filling u in on the tasks and work I have been doing for Austrade in future posts.

Cheers

No comments: