Hi Everyone,
I finished my twenty day internship a while ago, however I was fortunate enough to be offered a payed part time position. I jumped at this opportunity, with the experience I'm gaining invaluable. This is sadly my last blog, so i thought it was a good time to reflect on my experiences and share them with you.
I guess the first thing I learnt from obtaining a placement is that perseverance is essential. It is easy to become deterred when you do not even receive a courtesy email saying thanks for your interest but not currently looking for work experience students. However hang in there! I ended up getting my placement because my supervisor was impressed with my perseverance. I think perseverance can be applied in many areas of public relations.
Another tip would be to ask heaps of questions. You learn a lot more by asking questions while at the same time showing your employer that you are enthusiastic and keen to learn.
Some insights I gained from my placement is how important double checking your work is, with a typo in a media release or wrong terminology can potentially cause you to lose a contract. At my consultancy we had procedures in place for proof reading and getting work approved. While at times it can be a tedious process getting something approved by four people, it is a process which helps to ensure no mistakes are made. At university, lectures and tutors are always stressing the importance of proof reading, with me defiantly seeing how important it is in the business world.
Another insight I have gained is how important networking is! Networking often results in work being refered to you from a contact and a head ups. Networking is especially important for the small consultancy i worked for, with us actively seeking work opportunities, with these often arising through networks. University students should view networking just as highly, with networking increasing job opportunities.
My last insight into public relations is that you have to be very flexible and not let things deter you to much. I have found that through working with clients, their requirements often change which is very frustrating. For example i spent a long time trying to track down and secure a guest speaker for a event. A week after i had finally secured this speaker, the client turned around and decided that perhaps a guest speaker wasn't required and appropriate for the nature of the event. I dislike the fact that sometime changes in clients requirements can make you look inefficient (ie changing the venue three times because the client kepts changing its mind.) However at the end of the day it is essential that you ensure your client is satisfied.
I have enjoyed my experience greatly and each day I learn more and more. The part I enjoyed the most about my placement was the opportunities to write newsletters, articles and mock media scenarios etc. I felt like this challenged me the most and I could put the skills I learnt at university into pratice, learning from my mistakes as I went along. Completing my placement also made me reliase how simple things we have learnt through university ie networking is so critcal in the industry and can potentially make or break a firm, with reputations long standing in the small Perth business environment.
Make the most of the opportunities your placement offers, network, ask questions and always make sure you proof read your work at lest twice! Good luck for writing your reports!
Siobhan.
3 comments:
Hello,
I do agree with the points you explained. First, it is true that when looking for a placement, we can easily lose hope as it is quite difficult to find one and some companies often do not reply to your requests. However, we should persevere. Also, it is very true that we should not hesitate to ask questions to our supervisor and other collegues during our internship as we actually learn much by as asking questions and it also shows that we are really interested in learning more, this gives a good image to the supervisor.
Double-checking your work and proof reading also is very important. Last time I was in a rush and had to complete the weekly report for our client very quick before i go back to uni for my courses, and forgot to proof read and check if there was no mistake. I left quite a lot of mistakes but fortunately, the suppervisor checked the report before sending it. If the report was sent without proof reading, this would have given a very bad image of our company to our client.
Hello: Siobhan
I just found your post very interesting.I really wish ti see you always enjoy what you do and get on the road to success and keep in mind that you are doing your job, and all the other PR professionals out there have at one point or another felt exactly the same and we know how important it is to ensure communication between clients and the consultancy.
Congratulations on your brainchild and best wishes for the remainder of your internship!
Han Xiao
I agree with what you were saying about perseverance when securing your placement. I was pretty lucky when I locked in my internship. I had heard great things about PPR and had an acquaintance that worked there and also knew someone that had worked at Porter Novelli.
When doing my research, I was even more attracted to PPR as their website mentioned they offered an internship program. I liked the sound of this, it sounded structured and like the offices would have experience with work experience students which would hopefully mean I would 'experience' more than photocopying and filing. The website also explained that applications could only be made by lecturers, students were not to apply directly. I contacted Katharina who said she'd never heard policy and that but she had heard that PPR was booked out for the rest of the year(and this was in April) but to give them a try anyway. So I contacted the Perth office directly and they asked me to email my resume. However I didn't put all my eggs in one basket I also contacted Porter Novelli and a boutique fashion PR department Fashionist.
So I ended up getting through the imaginary red tape as mentioned on the PPR website and securing my placement at my first preference, PPR. So my advice for any future PR 393 students, show a little initiative, persevere... and start early!
Post a Comment