Sunday, September 14, 2008

A few tips for a new Mentor

Hello Everyone,
I think I have found myself a great mentor in my supervisor (Event Manager). I was discussing my progress at uni with her the other day and asking her for tips for the future in the work place. She gave me a few great tips for anyone entering the public relations department of a company especially anyone looking further into events:
  • Always remember to challenge. Some people have been in the same job for a long time so it is important to challenge in order to push the level of creativity. She explained that events can sometimes just fit the mould and be completed the same every year. It is vital that the modern practitioner constantly innovates and challenges!
  • Ask questions...always! 
  • Bring New Ideas. If you have a brainstorming session at work, go home think it through, discuss it with people in your family and then always bring new ideas to the table.
  • Show interest in all events. (even the boring ones!) Always see if you can help others out, know the most you can about a company.
  • Suggest extra events, don't just think your calendar is full because of the scheduled events, add extras... there is always time!
  • Approach people for up and coming events before they need to ask. Pre-empt peoples needs and you WILL blow them away.
  • Always ask what your boss is doing. There will always be something that you can help them with. This way you know what your department is doing at all times and you can project an image of unity and strength across the department.
  • Always look to better yourself. Enrol in excel courses, presentation skill courses etc etc! It all helps and looks great to your employer.
I just thought I'd add these great points because I don't think she even realized that she was saying such useful points until I started writing them down excitedly. 
One of our big events is coming up. The Doig Medal (The Fremantle Football Club's Best and Fairest) We are hosting it at the Burswood Casino grand ballroom on October the 4th. Working in the events department has made me realise the thought that goes into some of the smallest things in an event. For example we were deciding on songs to play when an award is announced. We came up with a few good ideas including for the young up and coming star awards playing "You aint seen nothing yet." 
A few good tips for events have come up including at large events to book the entire venue including surrounding rooms and venues. Always practice and encourage safe alcohol practice before and after the event and presentation is EVERYTHING.

Ok, think I will finish up there!

Be posting soon.

Holly :)

2 comments:

Kirsty said...

Hey Holly,

Its great that you got some tips from your supervisor. Sometimes its so hard to find nice people when youre doing work experience or prac, you can often feel like you're annoying them with talk or questions. But you did mention that a piece of advice you got was to alway ask questions, so I'll keep that in mind next time when I think I'm just annoying my supervisor!

- Kirsty.

Angeleen D said...

Hi Holly,

The tips your supervisor gave you are very helpful! I will definately keep them in mind. It is good to your supervisor encourages questions, as Kirsty said...sometimes I wish I had the answers to my own questions, so I didn't have to annoy my supervisor. Thank you for sharing the tips- I'll keep them in mind :)

As you mentioned, it is amazing that the small things that seem insignificant, actually take up alot of time... it makes you realise the effort that goes into an event.
Especially when you are apart of the days/weeks put into preparing an event which come down to a matter of hours.

I hope your preparations for the Doig medal are coming along, and your not too busy! I can imagine you're flat out.

Good luck! =)

Angie.