Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The rewards of hard work

Hey guys,

I recently had my last work placement day at Synergy which I found to be quite sad. I really enjoyed my work there and the people I worked with. Luckily for me however it wasn't actually my last day! At about 4 that afternoon I was offered a job in their business transformation department. The role I have now is very different to the one I used to have. I'll give you guys a bit of background so you can undertsand just what I do: I used towork in corporate affairs which is essentially the internal relatiosn department. I really liked the work i did there. Mainly it constituted media relases, media reports, articles and interviews, event proposals, sponsorships etc. A first I enjoyed being in the real world so much I thought that was xactly what I wanted to do when I finished uni! Now my work is much different: after the old Western Power disaggregated into 4 companies Synergy became the retail arm of WA's power supply. Synergy realises that sometime in the fuure they will be fully contestable and so they ar undergoing an internal restructure to get ready for competing in a corporate environment. I work with 2 companies that have been hired by Synergy; Accentue and Delloitte. Together we are controlling the change management aspect of Synergy. Suddenly I have ben propelled into a whole new section of PR: project and change management. And i love it! I've realised over the past few weeks I mmuch more suited to handling individual projects, rather than the day to day aspects of a company.

My advice to you all is to not settle for the first area you try. Getting out there can be so exciting and you may just run with whatever your given. But you should test the waters, see what kind of roles are out there and then chose which one suits your personality the best!
I am so lucky to have been given that opportunity and I hope you ca all hav the same chance to find what you really love doing!

Don't settle for average! Find the extraordinary!

2 comments:

Kathryn Askwith said...

Congratulations on the job Erin! Experiencing a restructure can be a tumultous time for all involved, and I'm guessing the position you hold will be vital in ensuring the transformation is successful. It is interesting how a lot of the public relations knowledge we have collected by doing our degree can be used in all aspects of working life, whether or not we begin our careers in the PR industry. Hopefully it all goes fairly smoothly, what a great chandce to prove yourself and your skills! Wishing you the very best of luck!

~JiE~ said...

First, congratulations for your "reward". You work performance must be extraordinary so you get directly get a job offer. Handling a change of management seems like a very interesting and challenging job. Good luck to you, and congratulation once again :)