Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Second week was a hectic one!

Ok so here I am in my second week of internship the next Monday thinking that it will be a smooth week as usual doing media clippings and helping others in their work…But I was totally wrong. As soon as I arrived, the head of the department tells me that she got a lot for me do to this week. A press conference would be held at 2 p.m and she asked me to forward invitations to journalists. They always send invitation on the same day to show the urgency and importance of the event to the journalists. That was part of their strategy. As soon as all the invitations were sent, I was asked to work on a press release and a sort of news feed to be distributed to the journalists. The press conference was on the partnership of the MCB and GH futures, a financial organisation from UK. They were introducing trading in Mauritius.

My workload for the day was not over yet…there was more to come…

The media relations dept. was working on its new corporate exhibition space with education as its theme and I was asked to help them with the research. The CES (corporate exhibition space) is a like a little gallery near the reception which illustrate the new projects the bank works on but in images and photos. MCB is the only bank in the island to have a CES. Their previous CES was on Maldives as MCB was just inaugurated there. This time the CES theme is the introduction of free education in Mauritius and how MCB has contributed in the educational sector. The theme of education was chosen since MCB forthcoming CSR event was the distribution of educational pack in schools. I attended the briefing for the CES and was informed what was expected from us; the ideas and objectives of the new theme.

Still more to come…

After the meeting for the CES, I started working on the brochures for the CSR activity which will be official launched in one week. It’s called MCB Football Academy (I’ll elaborate more in my next post). Finally, I attended my very first press conference which was interesting but since it was on financial stuff it was quite complicated for me to grab all the technical terms…yet I found out how a press conference really takes place, dealing with the press etc…

So that’s how (a really exciting) Monday ended…the other days of the week I kept on doing media clippings and at the same time worked on the brochures for the CSR activity. Then I went to the national archives to do research for the CES…We wanted to have old newspapers since 1970 to show MCB pathway and contribution in the educational sector and mainly the various scholarships offered to students.

My second week was indeed hectic but it was much better than the previous one as this time I did a lot of stuff…

Next post coming up soon :)
Bye for now…
Farah…

No comments: