Saturday, October 11, 2008

The end of the first chapter

Greetings all,

Here marks the completion of my 20 day experience with Clarity communications. It has been an invaluable learning curve and all-round experience for both my professional and personal growth.

I won't lie, most of the internship I found that my tasks were small, and some not meaningful. But when I look back on it now and think of what I have actually done during my time there, the accumulation of works is quite impressive to me. Although I found it very hard to juggle uni, work and work experience (not including study and assignments!), I find that I am quite sad that its over and I can't stop talking about it.

My last day there was on Wednesday, and that morning there was a team brainstorm of what angles could be used to pitch for Emirates. I got completely absorbed in it, and gave my input/ideas when ever they came to mind. It was at that exact point in time when the meeting was over that I realised how much I don't want it to end because I finally feel myself becoming half accepted. Not only accepted, but for the first time since I had been in my placement I felt completely comfortable dishing out what I had to offer, not scared of being knocked down and also not afraid to politely correct those when wrong. I really felt like part of it all.

My Managing Director has been amazing. Although I rarely saw him because he was always so busy, he is my inspiration. The few conversations I managed to have with him, even though most were brief, displayed how much knowledge and experience he has. Now I know I don't know a whole lot of consultants and that it is a very bold statement to make... but I have to say he has got to be one of the most intelligent and equipped people in his field. There sheer experience he has had in different countries, issues, tasks, plans, strategies etc has enabled him to be prepared to handle absolutely anything that gets thrown his way. This is my personal opinion and I hope I will develop to that same status one day as well.

I will miss being there in the office amongst all the action. I will miss the colleagues, naturally some more than others haha. But really, for all of you who are in the middle or just starting your placements, I am telling you that you will not realise on the fullest scale how much you learn until its over. I'm not talking about the technical tasks and skills of PR writing and ocmmunication, I mean the personal growth of becoming a Public Relations Professional.

For me the way of going about things, the way I think about tasks and the general manner of the industry itself have been my greatest lesson to date.

I can not wait for the next chapter to begin. Good luck to all of you, I wish you the best for all future endeavours.

Take care xXx

1 comment:

CY said...

Hello Ma'at,

I agree with the whole personal growth through the work experience. You feel that you have learnt so much in many different ways and more prepared to face the corporate world.
Towards the end of my internship, I also felt more comfortable in giving out ideas or suggestions whenever it came to me and it made me feel important! :)
Just like you, I was also struggling with uni, work experience and a job all at the same time but once you get the momentum to it, it is actually quite fun cause there's no time to get bored!

Glad you enjoyed your internship too! Good luck for the future! :)

CY