Saturday, October 11, 2008

Misperception towards media clippings

This is my second blog for internship in Miri City Council. In the past 10th day, my job is mainly on media clippings.

Before I start doing my internship, I actually overlook the importance of media clippings towards an organisation. There is a misperception in my mind that media clippings is an unimportant task given to low position employee. When I was instructed to do the media clippings, I think it will be a easy task. However, media culture in Miri is a bit different from other places. Their approach towards news is much more proactive. As MCC news get reported almost every day due to the wide operation scope. The unique media culture in Miri makes media clippings become the most important media tracking sources.

As the local authority, any negative news could brings greater harm to its image, reputation and even trustworthiness compare with commercial organisation.

Back to the media clippings, I need to read through 7 newspaper per day namely:

  • Sin Chew Daily News
  • See Hua Daily News
  • United Daily News
  • The Borneo Post
  • Eastern Times
  • Utusan Borneo
  • New Strait Times
There are few types of news which I need to cut and keep a copy. First is news related to the operation of Miri City Council. For example, a 3R (Reduce, Reuse, Recycle) Buy Back Campaign will be held in next monday. Before that, there will be some news release on newspaper and I need to cut down and keep it.

Second is news related to public complaint. As I mentioned before, one of function performed by Public Relations Section is handle public complaint. But some of the public will complaint to newspaper office rather than MCC. Media clippings are the way to find out what issue or problem public currently facing and MCC is not aware of it. In this case, PRS responsible to cut down the news release then forward to related department for solution.

Sample Media Clippings of Kuching North City Council

Third is news related to other council in Malaysia. MCC would like to know the current news and operation of other council. To understand what the other council doing may give MCC a reference for future plan and action.

Thanks for reading my blog :)

No comments: