Monday, October 6, 2008

Halfway...

Hi everyone

Its great to see everyone's pracs have been going so well.
It has been a while since my last blog because I have just been so flat out (and I'm not much of a blogger I have never really got the whole attraction about writing blogs cause really who has that kinda of time I barley manage to check my facebook once a week)

Anyway I am just over half way through my placement(s) now. I will apologise in advance if I am a bit vague about some projects because I am not really sure how much I am allowed to say with confidentiality issues etc (hence my reluctance to blog much - does anyone else have that issue????)

So over the last couple of weeks at the magazine I have helped to re-write/organise the website, jump on and have a look http://boxmagazine.com.au
The classes we did in our PR units on website design etc I found were really helpful when working on this project as most of the older people I was working on it with didn't really have much of an understanding of what makes a good website and whilst they did not take on board all of my suggestions and changes they did take most of them. I still think the writing is too small and there is a little bit too much writing on some pages, its not too bad.

I have also been working on a high profile pageant. This has been a great project, I was given the responsibility to put together the sponsorship/media kit package that would be used to get WA businesses involved with the event. Whilst the package ended up looking pretty good the whole experience was a little bit stressful. The deadline I was given to complete the media kit in the first place was - a day. Obviously an unrealistic deadline, so needless to say i didn't finish considering I had to write it, design it, find images, get it to the art department, have it mocked up, edit it, make changes and get it printed.
This was the first time I experience an unrealistic deadline and had to manage that.
I was given very little support and this made the whole thing 10times more stressful than it had to be.
Has anyone else had that problem??
Also the package I had to created was really very different to anything we had done at uni so I was flying blind with it, but i guess sometimes being thrown into the deep end isnt too bad.
I also found out that nooooo where in Perth has gold shiny presentation folders in stock so if you are looking for them you are going to have to have them sent from Sydney. I found that so ridiculous and I didn't have time to have them sent so I went and bought white gloss presentation folders which looked fine but the boss decided he wanted a window cut out of the front of them so you could see the title.

So if you need to cut a hole out of the middle the front of a folder, I would recommend the X-Press cutter from spotlight. And just a word of advice my boss told me that every good PR should have a stencil and a cutter so you should probably all go buy one haha

Anyway my media kit did get turned into a news article. The link is below.
http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,24436522-5005364,00.html

Nat

1 comment:

Meg Klymiuk said...

Hi Nat
Good to know someone else is having the same problem with getting content together for their blogs when there are confidentiality issues. The consultancy I am doing my internship at is working on a lot of tenders at the moment and also has quite a few very big clients they are pitching to soon. Some of the processes they go through and the way the team workshops creative strategies to pitch to the clients are quite interesting but obviously it's all top secret.
I understand the deadline thing too. My supervisor has frequently said to me 'OK this morning you're going to do a media release - you've got 2 hours'. Two hours seems like a lot (given something like this takes 2 minutes to write) but when you are scrutinising every phrase and word choice as well as trying to come up with the world's most mind blowing headline (my supervisor likes mind-blowing headlines) 2 hours isn't a lot. Putting together what you did in a day is a big achievement, so congrats.
Good luck with the rest of your internship.
Meg Klymiuk