Sunday, October 5, 2008

last day at SERCUL

It was my last day at SERCUL last Wednesday and it was very interesting and not what I expected at all. We had another meeting with Satterley in the morning which went really well. We went out to the Heron Park community centre which is an old homestead built out of salvaged materials including beautifully carved wooden floors and ceilings. It also has a large park area around it with a playground which is perfect for the Harrisdale area school activity days being held for our Fertilise Wise campaign in a couple of weeks. I was lucky to talk to Satterley’s community development officer about PR as a career as he was very PR savy and had a lot of experience with communications and organising events. So that meeting went very well and strengthened relationships between Satterly and SERCUL for future campaigns and I also learned a lot about professionalism and how to negotiate sponsorship.
After the meeting we arrived back at SERCUL only to find that the SERCUL staff had organised a lunch in my honour for helping them with their campaigns, especially the Harrisdale campaign (if I called it the North Forrestdale campaign in previous blogs it is because the area was renamed). I was very surprised because I did not expect this at all. Everyone was so appreciative of my work and thought I needed a proper send off. It was great getting to know everyone at SERCUL and has made me realise how important their work is in providing information about our environment and maintaining our local land and waterways. It has also made me aware of sustainability and how bad fertiliser is! But most of all this was a great PR experience and allowed me to put all my knowledge from Uni into real life situations.

No comments: