Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Silly me… I have to bring my brain to work!

As the ball day is getting closer and closer, 25th of this month, all the committee members are more conscious and anxious about every single details of the event. This is understandable that my workload is increasing recently. Sometimes, I need to help them to organise some works which are much more relate to administrative aspect, for instance, reply the email, file documents, do some photocopying. However, I enjoy doing these administrative works because this enables me to be more familiar with the organisation and its working environment.

Today I made a silly mistake which caused the committee meeting has to be delayed for around 15 minutes. I was being told to print the latest documents and materials before the meeting. However, it was a bit rush and messy for me to do the printing as I was handling some issues on phone with the client at the same time. I printed the previous documents which have not been updated and distributed them to the group on the meeting. Of course, my boss discovered that and asked me to print them again immediately. It was so embarrassing! She explained to the group that I was busying with my study at the moment and thus made this little mistake. Although the group said nothing about my fault, I could feel that some of them are quite impatient. Indeed, I felt very upset as my fault led to the meeting being delayed. I swear that I cannot make such silly mistake again! It is absolutely awkward!

5 comments:

Siobhan said...

Don’t worry to much about your mistake, everyone makes them. The most important thing is to make sure you learn from your mistakes. In this case it would be to double check what documents you are printing and distributing. This is a perfect time to learn those lessons, as it will help us to be more prepared for the work environment, with it better to make these mistakes now then later! Good luck for the rest of your placement

Ma'at said...

Hi Zambi,

I know how embarassing that must have been to make such a simple mistake... but it does happen. It was very professional of your boss to excuse it to the meeting board, but naturally not all of these busy people can be pleased with 15minutes of their precious time wasted.

In the final week of my placement I was actually spreading the word about the 40under40 WA Business News Awards coming up, going through the efforts of calling various organisations and attempting to engage their interest in the event to promote it internally. Then I realised a few of the emails I sent to deliver the relevant information had no attachments on them! I forgot to attach the documents!! It was so embarassing. I do believe I went quite a bright shade of red when a fellow consultant told me. But they too did not make a big deal about it and encouraged me to rectify the problem and not let it linger in my thoughts. Their support was very helpful, as well as their honest input on all of the work I produced.

Don't let your focus stray on to your mistakes that can not be changed. Just learn from them, swipe them clear of your mind and keep on running! Good luck and take care :)

Oliver said...

Yeah...S**t happens. But nobody is perfect and anyway you are on internship to learn, thats the purpose of it. So that you don`t make the same mistake again. What I read from your blog is that you were doing two things at the same time. Next time, try doing one by one. And, most important of all, know which of your work task is most important. Give priority to the most important and urgent one.
Hope you will enjoy the rest of your internship and learn some more things. Good luck!!

Angie said...

Well what can you do really, your the work experience kid so they understand that you might make mistakes here and there. I'm sure your not alone! I was very lucky because my placement was quite laid back so mistakes were usually laughed at. I sent emails to local journalists and forgot to attach the media release! I felt so stupid but it was minor and we all had a bit of a laugh. Enjoy the rest of your placement.

brAndOn said...

Hey Zambi,

Just take it easy. We're only human and all of us makes mistakes. I'm sure your supervisor would understand being that you're still a student and all. You are after all there to learn and the best way to learn are from your mistakes so that you don't repeat them in the future. I've had a couple of mistakes myself like sending out e-mails to the radios WITHOUT the attached media releases. So just got to be more careful next time.

Anyway goodluck with your report,

Brandon