Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Throughout my placement at the WACA I was given the responsibility of liaising with Master Foods, who were the major sponsor for the junior beach cricket day we organised. Their involvement with the event would best be described as a corporate sponsorship, whereby a relationship was formed to build their corporate reputation and strengthen relationships with key stakeholders. Inturn, the WACA was given approximately five hundred flavoured milk cartons to hand-out to the young kids participating on the day.

One of the main things I learnt from the process is to keep communication with potential sponsors as simple as possible. When it came down to it, all Master Foods really wanted to know was what they would be sponsoring, how it would benefit them and how much it would cost. Once these factors had been established, both parties were able to communicate on the same wave length and a deal was made.

The next step was to formalise Master Foods’ requests in regards to signage, use of their logo and verbal representation of their company name. This was undoubtedly the most tedious stage of the arrangement but nevertheless, a very important one.
All in all, the experience I gained from the process was invaluable and will hold me in good stead for any future sponsorship-related tasks I take on.

1 comment:

Kirsty said...

Hi Josh,

I know what you mean about communicating with sponsors. It can be tough at times - you have to keep it simple, but if its too simple then they think you're 'dumbing it down' for them and take offence, but if its not simple enough you're accused of using too much 'indstry jargon'. It sometimes feels like you can't win either way.