Hello friends, I'm jie hui from Curtin Sarawak campus.
This is my first post and I am going to share my internship experiences in Miri City Council (MCC). Before I join , two of my classmates already attached to MCC. However, our work scopes are still vary due to the different working period. Currently, I just finished my 10th working days. Lets start with a briefing introduction of Miri, Sarawak for those who haven visit Miri before.
Miri is a northern city in Sarawak, on the Borneo island. Miri was elevated to city status on May 20, 2005. After that May 20 becomes our Miri City Day which is important events for MCC to organise. Miri Municipal Council also change its name to Miri City Council after the elevation.
MCC can be divided into 13 departments to perform different functions.
I was attached under Public Relations Section. The section in charge of public complains, media material, tourism material and information management.
Here are two video about Miri which is jointly produce by Miri City Council.
Like most of the students, I felt nervous yet excited before commencing my internship.
Fortunately, my first day in Miri City Council was not as bad as I think.
My supervisor is a middle-aged man, gentle and always have a smile on his face.
He first introduce me to all the staff, explain their responsibilities to me and giving a short brief on how the section work.
Then, he gave me some documents to let me get into the organisation operation.
These documents include annual report for public relations section, standard operating procedure for different task, guide to public complaint and work profile of his position.
I was surprised to see the standard operating procedure as I learned in business policy 320. It time for me recall what I have learned and combined with what I have experienced.
I finally understand the importance of standard operating procedure towards an organisation, especially for a new staff like me.
After I gone through all the documents, I request for my first task- design a new complain form.
The old design is unable to satisfy the requirements of the section as they are going to include more columns in the form to improve the efficiency.
I realise I have to be more proactive instead of passive in order to get involve in the organisation.
If I never request to do the new complain form, I might not get the chances to do it.
I will update my latest news to everyone.
Thanks for reading my blog and some comments will be appreciated =)
Cheers,
Jie
6 comments:
Hahaha working is fun IF it is in a good working environment. Like what you said your superior is good at managing his time and his stress level. Also yes you need to be proactive as by being passive all you can do is sitting there quietly, which makes you feel like a lazy worker. I also agree that first time i felt really nervous because of few simple question pops up in my brain, especially questions like "What should i do? and "Will i live up to my supervisor expectations while i have my internship there or not?" Whatever it is all i can say is good luck with your last 10 days of internship and be more confident in your own ability.
Hi Jie
Thanks for sharing the video and letting us to know more about Miri City. It seems that you enjoy working in MCC.
Indeed, I agree that take initiative and speak up during work are essential. Although we are just working in an organisation for experiences, people will consider our suggestions if they are great ideas. I faced similar situation like yours before. I took my initiative to create some spreadsheet, forms and special lists for the ball event that I am help organising now from my supervisor. Her reaction was a bit surprise at that moment and thought it is not necessary to do so. However, few weeks later, she told me that she used my spreadsheet and forms. She said she appreciated that so much because these forms help her to review the details of the event in more efficiency alternatives. As a result, she asked me to save a copy of them and they will be used for other upcoming events.
Anyway, I hope you getting well in your organisation. Good luck and looking forward to view your next entry!
Jay, I do agree that if I did not ask for any task i would really feel like I was not come to learn. As our objective of doing internship is to learn something which university did not taught!
Thanks for your comment :)
hello jie
Just like Zambi i would like to thank you for sharing the video and personally i never saw this place and it is really nice.
i can conclude from what you wrote on the blog is that you are having a great time during your placement which you should, infact which everyone should.
I wanted to react to what you said "I realise I have to be more proactive instead of passive in order to get involve in the organisation."
You are perfectly right. i went through the same at times during my placement. and when i took initiatives and did some work, it was really much appreciated and things turned out pretty good for me. and i think everyone doing their placement at some point should take some initiatives to propose any kind of work.
well keep enjoying your placement.
cheers
haha...Its nice to see you have so much fun for ur intern. I like the way u present ur article it is interesting with two short video attached together with the article. Same as you, the first time i been in my intern company i am so lost and having no idea with what is going on to this company and the function of PR department in my intern company. ALl the best for all of ur work.
Post a Comment