Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Lessons learned

First of all I have to apologise for the extreme lateness of what is actually only my second blog. There are many reasons for this, including the unbelievable pressure and time shortages of combining studying for three other units and my regular work commitments, as most of you would expect and understand all too well! But the most significant reason for my lack of posts has been the enormous blank white space I see blinking back at me from my computer, without so much as an inkling of what I could write about?

I don’t mean to suggest in anyway that my experience of this professional placement as been bad or worthless whatsoever. I simply mean that I have only undertaken a few tasks over the course of my placement, which has mainly included research and data/spreadsheet work. I have also had the pleasure (!) of writing numerous articles for websites and the company intranet and e-news, which I will say has been a very valuable, though not painless, experience for me.

Although I don’t think I have any kind of talent for writing, and it certainly doesn’t come easy to me, I have always pursued literary studies from primary and high school through to both the degrees I am studying – which include public relations and professional writing majors. I knew that writing was always going to be a primary component of a job in public relations, but boy! was I underestimating just how big, especially in consultancy work.

Writing all of these articles for my internship has taught me that I do need to approach such tasks with less hesitation – as soon as some one asks me to write something, particularly in a non-academic style, I straight away feel brick walls building up in my head and a little voice muttering, “Too hard, it’s too hard…” The less you think about what your going to write and focus more on filling that white space with words, the smaller your headache will be at the end of the day. I always remembered not to be too precious about receiving red comments and edits on my work at the end, but I never bothered to work on my apprehension when actually starting such projects.

In addition to the eye-opening experience of finding the writer in myself, I also managed to obtain what I most wanted out of this placement – finding out what goes on in a consultancy. During my placement I have been able to observe what makes up the day-to-day business of a consultant, which seems to be mostly made up of creating and updating websites for clients, designing and writing e-newsletters and, on the odd occasion, organising events. Naturally this might just be the agency that I have been working for, but nonetheless I am glad to have found out so I am more certain than ever of the direction I’d like to take in my career.

1 comment:

katherinecurnow said...

I definitely feel and understand your pain when it comes to juggling a placement, three other units and regular work commitments. It certainly was something I wish I put more thought into in terms of what I could handle, especially considering the fact that this is my last semester for my degree. But somehow we all managed to trudge along and get through it, with only minor injuries (I'm directing that comment purely to myself, I do suspect my mental stability has been somewhat shaken by this entire experience...maybe others feel the same?).

As for the number of tasks you were delegated I would say in most cases, depending on the company you're working for however, this is the type of workload to be expected of an intern. It's unfortunate coming from a student perspective because you do go into a practical unit expecting to be inundated and overwhelmed with work that you just don't think you could possibly handle to the standard you think they have of you or want/expect from you; but it's undertandable from an agency's point of view - they don't want to partake in slave labour as such and have experienced employees to carry out the more important projects, not only is the workload an issue but the importance of that particular project to the company can also be a contributing factor. As a student, none of us would like to be solely repsonsible for the dissolution of a company's major client? Not only would that give you a very bad comment on the employer appraisal form but it would tarnish your name and spell the end of your PR career before it had even started!

So I would say to the future PR 393-ers... make the most of your internships, learn from every experience, or the lack of experiences, you are given. Establish and maintain the relationships you make during this time as they may be able to help you, or know someone who can, once you graduate.