Sunday, December 7, 2008

And now I am done.

My commitment to Colosoul Magazine, in terms of my internship for PR 393, is no officially over. I have experienced both the highs and lows of being responsible for the coordination of a large scale event and working in a smaller role under someone else. I would say that, judging by my lack of practical experience, I felt more comfortable with the smaller role than I did with my position as MYM coordinator. Initially, I certainly felt out of my depth and lost with almost always a deer in the headlights approach to what I was doing in my position as MYM coordinator. However, having experienced what needs to be done and how to get things done quickly and effectively I feel a lot more confident in my ability to manage a large scale event now.

I've always been a person who hated not finishing something she started so I have decided, upon much contemplation and internal arguments, to continue my commitment in coordinating MYM. At times, I felt that I was not very suited to a role working in the magazine industry, purely because I found that I had little interest in it, there is not a lot of passion in it for me but at the same time, I would like to finish what I started and then would be happy in handing it over to someone else as Colosoul would like to have MYM as an annual event.

I know how to handle things correctly and am glad that I have kept my contacts made from MYM so once the date is reset I can start incorporating them back into the parade.

Post-graduation I am not entirely sure what I will be doing, obviously I will be continuing my work for Colosoul until the fashion show is completed but my future career in PR is hazy, it is still definitely the career path for me, and I am so glad that I had a chance to experience the practical side of PR in this unit. It was something I really needed as it gave me a small insight into what was expected in the real world. I'm not sure if I took it as seriously as I should have seeing as there was the underlying thought that my commitments were purely university-driven, but this perception may change once I have graduated and entered the real world.

I would just like to say thank you to Tricia Ray for offering my the opportunity to undertake my internship with Colosoul Magazine, it has been a pleasure working for and representing a magazine that has young, local people's, particularly student's, interests at heart and giving them the opportunity to express themselves creatively. I would also like to thank all the people who have taken an interest in what Colosoul does and in MYM, I certainly look forward to working with you for next years parade and hope that it will be a big success.

Katherine Curnow.

No comments: