Hi all!
I'm about half way through my work placement and enjoying every moment though its quite tough handling time for uni, projects, part time work and placement at the same time. It drains me out by friday but well, at least my time is used productively.
Last week at work saw me working on the WA Deaf Society's Lecture Series brochure. I am still in the process of doing minor adjustments of the brochure and I'm looking forward to see it go for the final approval and getting it printed! Also, I did mentioned previously that I was helping out with media release for the request for help as the Society's donations has dropped by 70% since last year. In our first media release, specific details and statistics of how much donations were reduced was not included. So a follow up media release was written and faxed out again. I also made follow up called to editors and journalist in our media contact list and double checked if the fax got to them or if they were interested in finding out more to work on any media angles that would interest them. Response was quite a mix of positive and neutral.
Also, I googled to media monitor and see if there were any post regarding donations to the Society. I was glad to given task of helping out in the media releases, faxing it out, follow up calls to editors and speak to them. I'm currently also working on a powerpoint presentation for 'First Signs' workshops.
Knowing that non-profit organisations such as the WA Deaf Society relies heavily on the help from volunteers, I am glad I a part of it and doing my part at the Society. It taught me to appreciate the little things we have in life and be appreciative with everything that we got. As the Society has volunteers who are profoundly deaf, while I was having lunch the other day, I was engaged into the conversation and it took me awhile to actually understand because I am still bad at signing. But I can sign A-Z and some colors now. (:
It has been full on work since day 1 but at least I am learning useful skills outside the classroom. Being able to adapt to the culture of the organisation is very important but as I see my work being useful to them, it is already a sense of satisfaction on it own. I really look forward to see my brochure being printed and distributed. Hopefully I get to share it with all of you when it gets approved.
Again, I look forward to new tasks for the following week!
No comments:
Post a Comment