Wednesday, April 29, 2009

‘Growing up’- taking on more responsibility in a PR role

Hi all, hope your placements are going along nicely…

Today was quite exciting…I completed my second media release at my placement (I had started compiling research and writing it last week, but I had been struggling to incorporate a certain senior coaches comments without causing offense, or getting PFC sued…) Now this may not sound like much, but it was the first time I had actually sent one out to the media, rather than just handing it into the CEO (or to my tutor.) A media list was used, as was PFC media release template and a logo with my name on it to sign off the email I sent out…it felt very professional and I suppose authentic because it was not just an assignment for uni, but was something being generated in the ‘real world’

It was also special because it felt like I had really written it, my supervisor (who just clarifying is also the CEO) made some changes and guided me, but essentially this was my work being sent out to the entirety of the Perth Football Club media list. Ideally, you want to like where you work, so naturally you will do better at a work placement if you have an interest in the industry. Writing a media release about Geelong legend Billy Brownless to promote the lunch he is a guest at next Friday (a lunch which I will also be able to attend) was great because I remember watching him play as a kid and now I have been given the opportunity to not only write up a story about him (which will hopefully get published) but also will be able to meet him, which is a great honour:)

2 comments:

carbs said...

Billy Brownless? Im jealous! Sounds like your enjoying your placement down at Perth Football Club!

Hopefully your story gets published! I would love to read it! Best of luck!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, it was great meeting Billy Brownless – he was exactly the same as he is on TV, obnoxious, but sometimes you cannot help but laugh. I actually got to have a brief conversation with him when I was asked to hold up the auction items at the end. The first thing he asked me was “who are Pheonix Shutdown Services?” (Pheonix Shutdown Services are Perth Football Club’s main sponsor; however I had absolutely no idea what they actually do). This became slightly embarrassing; especially because their name was printed all over everything and I could not provide an answer. Mumbling they are Perth’s main sponsor is also not clever when speaking to a former footballer who would know all too well what a sponsor is.

Therefore, an important PR lesson to learn is being aware of who your sponsors are and what they do! If anyone, whether it is a client, a potential client, the general public or a special guest asks you something to do with sponsorship and you do not know the answer, it reflects really badly not only on you, but on the organisation itself. I was cheered up when I Colts player I was sitting with at the lunch also did not know what they did, however I still felt a bit stupid…

After that, I told him I was on work experience and he asked what I did and I said journalism and public relations, and we had a bit of a chat. However, for the rest of the time there I was know by him as “work experience girl”…