Monday, April 6, 2009

McCafe now baking fresh pastries daily!

I had such an exciting day yesterday. I accompanied Georgie, who is PPR's consultant for McDonalds on a 'media drop' for McCafe. To give you all a quick rundown on what I'm taking about, all McCafe stores across Australia have recently had ovens installed so that McCafe can offer their clients with sweet and savoury pastries freshly baked throughout the day, everyday.

McCafe's customers will be spoilt for choice with the introduction of 8 new pastry varieties, including the very popular chocolate croissant. I am a sweet-tooth, so you can imagine my excitement when I was allowed to taste test the 8 new McCafe pastries. All I can say is that the chocolate crossaint hands-down proved to be a winner with me. When it is hot out of the oven, and the crossaint is still oozing with warm chocolate bits - it is simply irrestible and was definitely MY favourite!

The McDonald's media drop consisted of a 5:00am wake up call in order to be able to get dressed, pick up Ronald McDonald up from his home, pick up the freshly baked pastries from McCafe in Innaloo and head to our first lot of breakfast radio stations with our freshly baked deliveries and attached media release with promotional vouchers.

The challenge was needing to pick up the pastries from a McCafe that was closest to the media offices so that the editors and journalists were able to sample them how they should be eaten - hot and fresh out of the oven! Throughout the day, we had 8 McCafe stops and visited 20 local media outlets including The Sunday Times, 92.9, Nova, The West Australian and all the community newspapers. The radio stations were the most fun as we were actually brought up to meet all of them and hand them their breakfast treats, accompanied by an overly cheerful Ronald McDonald (which they all loved).

Before starting my work experience at PPR, I had never heard of a 'media drop' before, so it was a good way for me to learn alternative ways to not only promote a product on a more personal level, but also to meet the media that you are dealing with - the editors and producers, to therefore assist in strengthening relationships with them.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow that sounds like a fun way to get in contact with the media you are working with or trying to get press covered with. Very hands on and a good opportunity to start forming relationships with members of the media which will be mutually beneficial! Your placement sounds great, especially that they let you get very hands on and really experience the daily life of a PR consultant.

Anonymous said...

That sounds like some really fun PR work!! That's probably the only capacity I'd recommend working for Maccas though... My first job was on William St. McDonalds on the graveyard shift. worst job ever...

I'd never heard of a media drop either. It must have been a cool experience being able to meet all those people working in the media industry.

That day sounds like it was heaps of fun. I wonder how hard it would've been to stay hyped through all 20 media outlets. But I'm guessing freaky Ronald might have kept the atmosphere entertaining. :P

Anonymous said...

Hi Deborah,

I found this a really interesting read and it is great to hear that you are enjoying your placement.

I personally have heard of media drops but this particular kind seems very interesting and creative.

I wouldn't have imagined that Mcdonald's would put in so much time with the media as they gain so much publicity anyway. Though, like BHPB - where I was placed - I am sure they are trying to promote the positive side of their company rather than the negative which media organisations like to focus on.

Good luck with the rest of your time,

Jordan Pieterse

13635084

Amy said...

I agree with other bloggers. I didn't realise McDonalds put this type of attention into p.r. They seems to have such great awareness of their company already.

Your placement sounds great. A really good avenue to make connections with people from all types of industries across Perth.

Goodluck, hope you enjoyed the rest of your time with PPR.

Hanna Lyra said...

Here’s proof that PR isn’t all about boring paperwork! I remember being challenged in my Media Relations unit to use creative ways to get attention when writing up media releases. One of the things that attracted me to this degree was the creativity and freedom of going out and meeting people! Sounds like you have done just that in your placement. Glad you are having a great time at your placement and learning creative strategies to personally meet with the media :) I hope the effort was worth it!