Hi everyone,
You have probably all finished your placements by now; hopefully your final report is going ok…
When I say “good” media lists I mean that they are both updated properly and also clearly labeled with which organisation the media person belongs to so the media releases are targeted towards and sent to the relevant media people.
When I used the Perth Football Club media list to send out my second media release several emails bounced back and I also did not hear anything back from the other media outlets. I am sure the story was newsworthy enough because it was about not only a former AFL great, but also a well recognised current media personality coming to Perth Football Club for a sportsman’s lunch. The media list itself was not particularly long and sometimes I really had no idea who I was sending the media release to!
Naturally, a couple of days after I had distributed the media release the West Australian Football Commission (WAFC) gave the CEO a long and up to date media list for WAFL Clubs to use and I was asked to update it…
Having said that, although this list was more thorough than the one on Perth’s database all it had on it was the person’s full name and their email address/addresses. I could establish where most of them were from as usually their work email was used, however quite a few emails ended with communitynews.com.au and seeing as seventeen Perth newspapers belong to the Community Newspaper Group targeting specific papers may pose a problem for future distribution…
3 comments:
I know exactly what you mean by the importance of good media lists!
A lot of my placement has involved creating databases- not for media as such, but for sending invitations for events. I was so frustrated by so many emails bouncing at me one day, that I did a complete overhaul of the database the next day I went in.
One of my main tasks during my interenship at the WA museum was also updating their extremely out of date media database. I was surprised that a government organisation had let their lists get so out of date, enter... me!
Keeping your media contacts database up to date is crucial, as well have probably all learnt by now. the main form of communication my organisations use is through email and there is nothing more frustrating than bouncebacks!
Hi Emma i have totally been in your shoes! Whilst i gathered some contact information from my work the best way to get the info was to call relevant publications and ask who the best person to send it along to would be. I found Chief Of Staff was good for the community newspaper group if you could get their direct email. I also found that having a catchy subject header prompted a better response! Hope that little hint is helpful :)
Post a Comment