Hi everyone again....Hope you are all enjoying your internships at your various companys and consultants.I wish the best of luck in your final report for those of you who are done with the internship.....As for me, well am getting used to the environment and the real work started two weeks ago when we were preparing for a documentary project. The 30minutes documentary is called STOKE, and my boss put me incharge of the project as the casting coordinator. I had to do all the planning, the budgeting and creating a form as well as datebase sheet that would be used to record all the information of the people who will be coming for the casting. Well, the first thing i did was arranging the studio and getting the necessary equipment for the casting.I also made a facebook account for those who are interested in our auditions. This was a challenging for me as i was incharge of lots of tasks and i had to report to my boss at every stage of my progress. Am enjoying it but to be honest its tiring and sometimes we finish work at 8pm..Even though the work is interesting and challenging at the same time, i feel wasted as i only get few hours of sleep and sometimes i feel sleepy like during the lunch break. I want to stay strong and race to the finish line since am half way done and as they say, i can see the light at the end of the tunnel..This week might have been busy and tiring but everything was great and i managed to meet my deadlines.
Regards,
Farah
2 comments:
Farah mentioned somewhat erratic hours and having to work quite late at times to meet deadlines. While I was not called upon to work extra hours during my internship, (except for the Paul Keating Lecture) long hours seem to be a facet of public relations. Most of the people in the office where I worked stayed late on many occasions and sometimes did work from home as well. Especially the more senior PR practitioners in the office faced what seemed at times to be a 24 hour job. For example, e-mails could be sent from them after 10pm and when they were on holidays. To be a good PR practitioner you need to be always on the ball and keep your hand on the pulse. How to balance this with a life is a challenge! What have others experienced?
I have been told on numerous occasions by my supervisor that PR is definately a lifestyle choice not just a job. She has cancelled three scheduled overseas trips due to a crisis that has occured or just being snowed under. My supervisor regularly gets phone calls after work hours and regularly comes in on weekends. I think this is one of the biggest challenges I will find in the PR industry, as I really believe that there should be a balanced work play ratio.
Post a Comment