Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Internship Complete

Well, I have finished my internship and am now writing the report. I really enjoyed my time at Curtin’s Corporate Communications Department. It was great to see the usefulness of media releases, event planning, media monitoring and so much more of what we have learnt in real world applications. I will also miss the great people I worked with. They provided me with many useful tips from their experience in the industry which are so valuable to new practitioners such as myslef.

My last day finished with a proverbial ‘bang’, as we hosted a lecture by Paul Keating. It was a great experience to see the planning that is behind such an event, help with it and then witness it all come together. (It was also exciting to be in close quarters with a formidable former prime minister of Australia!). One thing that was driven home by the event was that there will always be unforseen issues which will need to be addressed. For example, the volume of the microphone used by Mr Keating was quite low for some reason, and had to be adjusted. However, the event was a success and was the perfect way to end my internship. Now I have a report that needs finishing!

1 comment:

Farah said...

Hi Haydn,
It seems i made a special bond with you because our interest coudnt have been any different.First of all, congratulations for successfully completing your placement and secondly, good luck with your report.I have been following your posting through out our internship period and it seems we have alot in common.I never had the chance to work at the Limkokwing Corporate communications department but as i said in my earlier comment,i'll try before i graduate.Just like you attended former Australian prime Minister,Paul Keating seminar, i did attend the former Malaysian Prime Minister, Dr.Mahathir's Seminar and his Honorary Doctrate of humanity degree celebration which he recieved from Limkokwing university.I was not doing my intership by then,but i was there taking pictures for the university's FTV department and i was so honored to be on the same stage as Dr.Mahathir. Otherwise, am working hard on my final two weeks and hope i'll get to do the useful PR asspects like media release.Wish you all the best in your future and hope we'll meet someday as two professional PR practitioners.

Regards,
Farah