Hi everyone,
Although I'm enrolled in a PR and marketing double major, my main focus is marketing. I think for this reason I view PR and its role a little differently than other PR students seem to.
I am working at a marketing consultancy firm, Platinum Mix, in West Leederville. We are the breakaway marketing department of Engelhard Consulting. My immediate boss has taken the marketing department and created Platinum Mix. I have been made involved in this process and it has been very exciting. We are developing the company strategy, website, corporate materials and are about the start our venture into social media - which I have been put in charge of. As exciting as all this has been, it has also been daunting, with more work. I have also been put in charge of writing Platinum Mix's marketing plan - I have never written a marketing plan on my own, Curtin always puts us into groups.
At the same time, I'm planning an event and relations with investors and clients have been some of the greatests headaches. Clients have a tendancy to change their minds, or not voice they're opinions early in the process - which then extends the length of the process and increases project management processes. Event planning has so many facets to it, the greatest amount of time seems to be spent contacting people and coordinating entertainment, invites, decorations, catering etc. When I first started uni, I was considering going into event management - but not anymore - I'll stick to marketing.
Apart from the above, I like my job most of the time, I like the people I work with. My boss has been very patient - teaching me the ropes, and I have been offered a full time position at the end of the semester when I graduate - which is a great relief - knowing I won't have to go out and compete with all the other graduates.
Blog soon again
No comments:
Post a Comment