Thursday, August 6, 2009

Placement prospects

Hi everyone!

Hope all the placements are going well. I have finished my placement, I conducted mine over the break so I could free up some semester time but am yet to hand in my report (I'm almost there)!

I thought I'd just take the opportunity to encourage those of you who have just started your placements. When I started my placement all I could think about was the fact that 20 days seemed to be a timeframe I couldn't see the end of!

I found the first couple weeks a little challenging in terms of adjusting my style of writing (and the way we've been taught) with the style prefered by my manager but I learnt quickly and adapted.

As time went by my manager trusted me more and gave me a whole range of tasks to complete which made the learning process well rounded and the time went quickly.

Before I knew it the end of the placement was in sight and I was actually a little sad to be leaving that I volunteered to go back once a week which was much appreciated by my manager (especially seeing as they are not-for-profit). Staying on has given me a chance to finish some projects I started during my time as well as continue the learning process.

My advice to anyone agreeing with my feelings at the start of this blog is: work hard, be creative and innovative and show your workplace you have something to offer them as well as being part of the team. make the most of the placement becuase you could potentially land a job or a great reference for a future job.

Good luck and have fun!

No comments: