Friday, March 12, 2010

Boy meets professional world

My summer internship was very interesting as I was working for N TV (National Television) station. My first week included a briefing where I was informed about the tasks I am expected to perform and also about the organization’s working rules which included no personal usage of the internet at any time as it can cause a leakage of valuable internal information.
Furthermore I was given a special brief about the strict policies of TV station which dealt with internal key public loyalty. The competition in media industry is intense so the organizations are very confidential towards their content and treat every single employee as a trusted family member.
The first few days were very confusing and I felt like a lost soul trying to fit in among everyone. However after a few days of socializing with the employees I was able to pick up the pros and cons of the TV station, which made my life a lot easier.
The first task which I was asked to perform was related to internal key public management. I was assigned to carry out peer review with the Human Resource Asst Manager. This peer evaluation takes place every three months in the station. We developed a peer assessment form initially and then passed it around to all the employees. The form consisted of questions about capability, leadership skills, punctuality, dedication and other aspects which could judge an individuals performance.
The evaluation process consisted of three parts which were distribution of the form to the employees, the assessment of the form which was carried out by the board of directors and lastly a meeting which was conducted by Head Human Resource & Administration Manager. The meeting’s aim was to highlight the evaluation outcome so the employees have an idea about where they stand in the organization. This evaluation process not only helps the employees to discover their strengths but also to work on their weaknesses.
Personally I think this is a very effective technique to strengthen and develop a strong working force. I believe that a country is made by its people and an organization is made by its employees. So in order to have an efficient and successful organization the employees must be given the first priority.

2 comments:

SeDi said...

hey there,
i strongly i agree with you that evaluation is valid to every organization,even though employees know their job description as soon as they are hired, it is still of importance to remind them of their duties and policies, brief meetings where they are allowed to reassess their own work and raise issues concerning them in the organization, some how it serves as a motivational tool to them because they do not feel left out or feel like their superiors are the ones to make major decisions without having to consult them. appraising them and giving them credit where necessary is crucial and drives them to do more in the future.
hope you had fun!!!

Anonymous said...

I do agree with what you said. I think that it is a good technique that your company is practicing as they do this every 3 months. And yes I also agree that and an organization is made by its employees. That is why internal key management is very important and if the staff members do not know what they can improve on, then I think that an organization will never grow. :-)