Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Media relations

Media relation..

What i realized is, keeping a relationship with media is a tough work in Public relation.Sometimes I even feel they demand too much, they like to be praised but anyway there is no option to do cause they are the only ones that can sell create the publicity.

Actually there was a day we went to media do announcement for our client.we stayed there for a long time.just waiting for them...I felt like is like they just like to be praised.

Anyway I belief they need people with patience.

3 comments:

Bethel said...

Hi there

I deeply share your sentiments, i also experienced the same thing when i was tasked to invite the media to the graduation ceremony we were going to host. At times i would make a call and they would put me on hold indefinitely. It eventually gets to a point where if you are short tempered you would hang up because you would think they are taking you for granted when you are trying to provide them with something to write about.

The same thing also happened when we faxed them the media invites and post media releases.Some would go to an extent of saying they have not received anything and that we should resend.

I guess its true when they say patience is a virtue. All you have to do is to focus on the prize with crystal clarity, that is to eventually get coverage. Media relations is a difficult field to play in, its a dog eat dog world.

Hope you having fun, post more!!!

Shehzana Baichoo, E-Marketing at AfrAsia Bank Limited said...

Hey there!!

I totally agree with you guys! Media relations boast indeed a great deal of patience. I happened to encounter the same situation as you while inviting the media to the press conference and another event. I was put on hold too indefinitely by some or simply been asked to mail or fax again the invitation because they did not receive it! Or they did not have time to open their mails and if I could brief them what the event was all about! Fortunately I was already warned that I might have to encounter these situations, so I already prepared a script just in case I got the response that they haven’t received it or they haven’t checked their mails yet.

Yet, PR needs the media and we have to be patient, because we need coverage and the media knows it. It’s a love-hate relationship as some say, or simply a symbiotic liaison of mutual dependence. Patience is a great virtue, yeah that’s true.

Journalism cannot identify itself unless it realises what public relations has done to it and vice versa. Both professions need each other and the ballgame needs to be ethical if reporters and PR executives want to avoid a murky and grubby relationship.

SamZ said...

I feel that the media should be more punctual and considerate on account of the same thing happens to them all the time! How many times do we hear about journalists having to wait around for entertainment or sporting 'talent' to get their act together for an interview.
We, as the next generation of participants in these industries, need to set an example for our contemporaries of puncuality and understanding of media relationships so that a mutual respect is cultivated. Nobody should leave anybody else waiting. Decent people don't do it in real life, and people shouldn't be doing it in the business world!