Well, today's blog probably gonna tell you how i got a place down at Department for Communities.... Supposedly, students are enrolled during November/December... but, lazy and silly me who always leave things behind didn't really remember about her studies when the holidays excitement strike!!!... I was bust during early February, to re-new my visa and all, long story short.... I'm enrolled and when I for the 1st time check the Blackboard, I was stunned... There were a lot of information and THINGSSSSS *yes, plural* that i need to do ASAP.... I even gave Katharina a call regarding when is the day for the class??... I was completely shocked hearing there will be no class after all... We were given full responsibility to roam around and get ourselves a placement...
Then, after read through the student pack, I started to pick up the phone and start calling... I thought, by picking up the phone would make it a quicker process rather than sending emails... I spent almost 2 hours calling several numbers attached and sent few emails to given addresses... You have no idea, how fast the "Internship Position" is filled... I thought I need to seek places that is close by to my place, guess what... I wasn't that lucky... :) Finally, I called up the DfC... I was so happy when my mentor said, "Of course you can, we are able to accommodate just one more and you're the lucky one" *YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY, suddenly I could hear "HALLEEELUUUYAAA"*
Tips and tricks...
1. Pick up the phone rather sending resumes and requests through emails. (Rehearse what you wanna say, 1st impression is very crucial)... Until today, I still have some emails thats has not been replied yet... Don't rely on the technology too much...
2. Meeting up for the first time with your future-working-placement-mentor could be scary, make sure you RE-CONFIRM with your mentor regarding your meeting time and venue...
3. DON'T BE LATE, be there at least 15 minutes earlier just because they might need you to take photo ID for security reason... (This is what I experienced, good thing I wasn't late)
4. Have fun and enjoy your placement, every seconds count... :)
I think, it's enough for today... Don't forget, you are welcome to leave any comments or suggestions... After all, we are learning together... :)
Jaa' Mataa (See you later in Japanese)
Cynthia P Sari
14053179
No comments:
Post a Comment