Sunday, April 11, 2010

My time with GGF so far!

Hello everyone!

My name is Tiffany English and I am completing my Placement with The Global Good Foundation (GGF), a not-for-profit organisation assisting those affected by domestic violence. I was previously undertaking general work experience with GGF and decided that there was no better place to complete my placement. I am directly liaising with Founder and Chairperson, Tenille Bentley, who has become a great role model and mentor teaching me above and beyond my work with the foundation.

After working with the charity for around 8 months, Tenille has decided I need to fully utilise my skills and I have been asked to manage a number of teams. I am currently managing 7 people within the Public Relations team, conducting regular board meetings and ensuring constant communication. This has proven to not only be a great experience but also a great challenge. I have realised the importance of delegating tasks and how to give other people the opportunity to show what they can do. I find that in some cases I prefer to get things done in my own time, however I have realised this isn’t the most effective nor efficient way of doing business, hence the delegation of tasks.

Being able to delegate tasks to my PR Team has enabled me to get involved within the other areas of GGF including partnerships, sponsorship, fundraising as well as the Gala Ball. I am now heavily involved in all areas of the charity, assisting Tenille with the management of these teams, ensuring the charity is getting the most benefit. I really enjoy being given this much responsibility and getting involved in as many areas as I can.

I am currently liaising with a number of stakeholders, including both those directly and indirectly involved with the charity. I have been getting as many organisations involved with the charity, as well as media personalities and famous stars. My latest achievement has been getting Paulini from Australian Idol on board GGF as an ambassador. I have also negotiated with Paulini and her management to perform a number of her songs at our large scale gala event in October. This was a really big accomplishment and something in which I am very proud of. This has offered GGF a range of media coverage in which I am working on at the moment.

During my time with GGF I have become very passionate about the charity and see it as my own. I am hoping within the next few years to devote all of my time to the charity, however at this stage, as it is a charitable organisation, I need an income to survive, so this is something Tenille and I are aiming for in the near future.

I am looking forward to working extensively with GGF over the next few years at minimum and ensuring I make a difference to those affected by domestic violence.

I will be jumping out of a plane for GGF on the 1st of May to raise money for our first education centre so surely that shows true dedication and devotion!!!

Talk soon!!

5 comments:

SamZ said...

Hey Tiff, sounds like you're doing great work, and for a great cause! And running the show to exemplary standards as usual. Good luck with your plane jumping!

Zoey said...

Wow Tiff, you sound like you are having a great time and getting very involved in not only the PR side of things but the organisation as a whole.

I was just wondering how and why exactly you decided on Pauline? And then how you went about it?

Also, GGF is a not for profit organisation so do they have someone other than yourself who is able to mentor you about PR related topics or are you relying on your work at University and other volunteers? The reason I ask is that I am working for a consultancy so I have alot of PR people around me all the time who can mentor me, I just wondered if you were having any trouble with that? (assuming you have no PR mentor?)

Best of luck with GGF and you should be so proud of what you have already achieved. I would be!

Zoey

Tiffany said...

Hi Zoey,
Thanks! I am really enjoying my time with GGF. I couldn't have asked for a better placement!
I actually read an article that Paulini had been affected by domestic violence in her former relationship and then I saw her on Sunrise talking about it. As soon as I saw that I was on the phone!
I got hold of her managements number, and after a lot of perseverance and phone calls, her management allowed me to send some details about GGF and what we would like from Paulini. So I emailed her our business overview and I wrote a letter outlining that we would like Paulini onboard as an ambassador and a list of things that we would need from here (i.e. testimonial, short video, to perform at our Gala Ball) as well as a list of the promotion we would give her.
After about 3 months she said YES!! That was a very good day for the whole GGF team. We really needed someone in the public eye to represent GGF.

As for a mentor, I'm basically my own team. I do have a couple of mentors, a few people on my PR team have extensive experience in PR and Tenille, the Chairman, is a fantastic mentor, and the other people in my PR team are doing PR at uni. It would be great to have some extra mentoring though, I always think you can never learn enough! It would be great if I could sit down with one of them and have a chat.

Thanks Zoey! I hope your placement is going well!

Charlotte said...

Tiff, im so impressed with all your accomplishments to date. I hope that you are getting as much out of volunteering, as GGF is of you. Clearly you have a talent and nature that allows you to connect well with and interact with all sorts of people, making you the IDEAL networker!! i have come to learn the importance of networking in my placement and hope to improve my skills in the near future.

do you have any tips or advice that could help me to do so??
Thankyou

Charlotte :)

Tiffany said...

Thanks Charlotte! That means a lot! I am really enjoying my time with GGF and hope to carry on for the long haul.
I agree! Networking is so important! You never know where that one conversation can get you!

All I can recommend is be the difference that makes the difference! Giving just that little bit extra will make you stand out from all other interns. Just make sure you get the most out of your placement. If you feel there is an area that you haven't worked on and you are really interested in that, i.e speech writing, suggest to your supervisor that you are interested in this and ask if there is any way you could get involved. Your supervisor will generally love your enthusiasm and drive and you will be noticed for it.