Hey guys,
Coming into this placement, one of my early tasks was to place calls to people I don't know inviting them for our Diamond Media Launch/Global Good Gala Event. It's nerve-wrecking cause you have no idea how you're going to be treated by the receiver. Luckily, I was asked to send emails instead since we're getting very direct rejections from people on the phone. We thought an email would be more subtle.
It's been a week now and I'm getting used to calling people and getting rejected. Although I did encounter very nice people too. So those people made my day at work. :)
I also began sourcing for gift hamper companies to donate a hamper to be used as a raffle prize at the Gala Event. I emailed nine companies and one got back to me. I was so happy cause that just means I do not have to make follow up calls to the other companies.
I came to work on Monday morning eager to deliver the good news to my supervisor. However, she had worse news for all of us. Our diamond media launch, which we've been working so hard for the past one week, had to be cancelled due to venue complications.
It was to be held at the Louve and they weren't ready for our launch. All of us at GGF however, will not admit defeat. We're pressing on and concentrating on our annual Global Good Gala Event which is the most important event in GGF's calendar.
This is just a small stumble for GGF. We're looking at the bigger picture and strive to continue doing small good things that create greater effects.
WIsh us luck, guys! :)
2 comments:
Sorry to hear your launch fell through. It's that sort of thing that makes events such intense, hard work - you can't ever rest until it's over! I hope you have a much more positive experience with the upcoming Gala because there is nothing like the feeling you get when an event is a success!
I can promise you that cold calling gets much easier with practice. It's nice to hear you've had some positive experiences with the calls, but don't be disheartened by the rejections. I've been making cold calls for years now because of journalism work and I can assure you you get better at it.
Good luck with the Gala planning. I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes.
Rikki
Glad you are enjoying your placement at GGF. By looking at your 1st blog entry, I can tell you are an outgoing, down to earth person, bet you have brought a lot of joy and laughter to your organisation. Being a new-comer to Perth, there are a lot of things to take in order to get used to the living styles in Perth. Sorry to hear about the cancelation on the media launch. However, I wish you the best of luck with your placement and the gala event. Remember to stay positive!
Post a Comment