Saturday, September 11, 2010

This week at Sunset Events...

Monday was filled with promise as a new intern started in the PR office. We were both called in for a meeting with our supervisor and she went over the tasks that she would like us to complete before the end of our internships. Hooray!

We were then taken on a tour of the company and introduced to everyone. I can't believe I've been there a month and this was the first time that this had happened. While I wasn't exactly thrilled about it, I was happy to finally know names to the faces I'd seen lurking around the tea room.

My "new" tasks involve designing a website brief for the Northbridge Festival website; editing artist bios; collating copy for the Northbridge website; uploading content to the Southbound, One Movement and Northbridge Festival websites; cross-checking album releases; and, designing a calendar with all of the international and national festivals on it plus the album releases for bands playing Sunset Events festivals.

So, on Monday I did the calendar. On Wednesday, I uploaded all of the comedian bios and images to the Southbound website, wrote up the Northbridge Festival website brief for our web designer and cross-checked Stereosonic's budget against the budget that Sunset Events had. And I was given Friday off because the supervisor had meetings in the city all day and the assistant was in Bali.

2 comments:

Ryan W said...

It's amazing to see you were given direction with your tasks in the long term. I'm also at Sunset Events (as I indicated in my previous reply) and I've met a few other students who, like me, are given little to no long term tasks or direction. We simply handle a few tasks over each placement day.
This method seems far more appropriate for the kind of placement we do. It's a shame that your internship turned sour as you discussed in your other post.

Katharina Wolf said...

A very valid comment. Thank you, Ryan. However, I would suggest that in most cases the scope of your palcement depends largely on the interns availability. Everyone, please keep in mind that if you are only one or two days a week in your placement location, your supervisor will most likely not be able to give you a project to see through on your own. Things are usually to urgent to be able to leave them for a few days. However, from feedback over the past years we know that students who spend three, four or more days a week in their placement organisation, are increasingly given their own projects and responsibilities. It always depends - on you, your supervisor, projects and tasks available at the time - and of course on everyone's ability. However, I stongly recommend to everyone who may be disheartened or disappointed because they haven't had a chance to do y or y, to sit down with your supervisor. Please keep in mind, they are there to help you!