
Hello fellow Bloggers, I hope your placements have been fun and a real insight for you.
It has been a while since I last uploaded a blog and so much has been happening, time has been flying by!
We have been in the final stages of Walk to Work Day (WTWD), which is happening this Friday! Everyone should be involved!
So over the last couple of weeks, my main duties has included getting stories in the media and encouraging more people to participate, while still liaising with corporates and individuals who have signed up about the day and the different events they will be hosting!
One thing that really amazed me is the lead-time for some stories. I little over a month ago, I spoke with a journalist from Taste, the food and wine segment in the Sunday Times about a story for healthy breakfasts! Then about in late August I went to a photo shoot and interview down at Garden Island for WTWD, as the Navy are strong supporters of WTWD.
Each year they host a huge event with over 700 staff and family walking across the causeway to Garden Island. The Commanding Officer of the Base - Captain Brett Dowsing was being interviewed. It was a great afternoon, the weather turned out to be great and everyone was lovely! This article was published on 19th September, see image!!
This was just one story and most of the others news articles have had a very quick lead time, it is just funny how you don’t really think about this when you are at uni, but it is so important out in the workforce, especially with magazines and publications! Another important thing is calling up the media and pitching a story. All through uni I thought that you would write a press release for news idea you had, and this is probably the case at some places, but pitching the idea over the phone is a great way to get the journalist interested in the story! But you do need to be careful about deadlines and not bothering them at the wrong time.
I have been having an amazing time at my placement and getting to meet some really cool people. Last week I was on a photo shoot with Shaun McManus and his two kids, which was featured in the last Sunday Times, I got to meet a couple of dancers from the WA Ballet for a photo shoot for the West Australian earlier in the month and this afternoon am heading out to meet some stilt walkers.
On Friday I will be attending the event down at HMAS Stirling on Garden Island and it should be a really great day! I will keep you posted!
Bye for now!
Chloe :)
2 comments:
Hi Chloe,
I've heard of Walk to Work Day before but can't recall seeing much promotion for it other than the odd article and advertisement on the electronic notice board on the freeway.
This year however, I'm really aware of the event and I think the publicity has been quite good. I saw the ad with Shaun McManus and his kids in the paper on Sunday and thought it was very cute indeed!
I've been catching the train to my placement in Northbridge because there is no all day unpaid parking. As much as I didn't like catching public transport before, it's been so easy to catch the train and I've quite enjoyed the short walk from the station to the office. I think it's something that people should do more often. Initiatives like Walk to Work Day are a great way to remind drivers, in particular, that other transport options exist because we can be too stubborn and like the luxury of driving too much.
It sounds like a great opportunity to practice executing quite a large campaign and I'm sure you'll see great results on Friday.
Rikki
Thanks Rikki, I wasn't too sure how we were going to get the message out there at the start but it did all pull together nicely in the last couple of weeks.
It has been quite stressful, and its so true about trying to find new angles to make old things new again. Walk to Work Day has been going for the past 12 years and at the start most journalist said we needed something new and different to get the message out there!
It is a really is a great initiative and most of the businesses who took part on Friday have emailed me back saying they are now making it a monthly event for their departments. So i think people are starting to understand we need to use our legs more!
Cheers, and i hope your placement has been going well for you!
Chloe
Post a Comment