Friday, September 3, 2010

Week 3 at Sunset

I'm almost at the half way point of my placement and I'm starting to notice good things and bad things about the job.

One criticism that I have about my placement is that there is not enough fluidity. I'm constantly asking the boss what to do and I would prefer to just get on with my work. I don't like not knowing what the day has in store for me. I'm finding it very daunting. The boss apologises for it all the time so she knows that it's a problem. I don't like the feeling that I'm interrupting her. I know how busy she is.

Don't get me wrong - I love the job! I really want to stay at Sunset for as long as I can. And if they were to employ me, that'd be awesome. I feel very much in my element so I know that the job and the industry are perfect for me.

Another criticism would be that I'm not allowed to contact media and get editorial for our events. The sole reason being that they've already got established relationships with editors and music directors and sending someone new in could reflect badly on the company. It's a lot easier to get something from someone if they know who you are. And what have the lecturers been drumming into our minds for the past 3 years? PR is about building relationships. I don't mind that they don't want to send me in to do this job as I've had 3 years of doing it for myself. I've had things in street press in Melbourne and Perth and an article in The West Australian was written on me when I moved to Perth about me bringing my Melbourne company here. As well as other stuff. I'm pretty skillful here so I'm liking the fact that I can see what else is involved in working in the PR department.

Okay, so this week has involved finishing editing the One Movement website; making sure that the Southbound bands link to the days that they're playing on; writing a press release for the Double Platinum Pass promo that we're about to launch where one lucky person wins a double pass to every event on the Sunset Events calendar; writing the comedian bios for Southbound; cross-checking the Northbridge Festival website; collating One Movement images for the showcase; coming up with ideas for Triple J's Southbound competition; and, creating a brief strategic plan to sell more of the One Movement Gold Pass tickets. This included things like drafting some copy, coming up with key messages and coming up with ways to market the whole thing.

Eye-opening week, that's for sure.

No comments: