Saturday, October 30, 2010

Looking back on my time well spent at LUCT


Hi everyone! This is going to be my last post after the completion of my internship.

Looking back on my time spent at Limkokwing University's PR department I have nothing but a smile on my face and some valuable life lessons which I will carry with me throughout the rest of my career in Public Relations.

I am truly grateful for the time I spent there as an intern and I now have a different mindset of what it will be like for me working in a PR environment. Although I am still a novice in this field of PR: Limkokwing’s PR team has opened my eyes and transformed me from the shy intern that I was two months ago into a confident young woman.

They gave me a platform to express myself confidently and at times they asked for my opinion so I felt I was making a contribution to the team as well. I must admit, it was not always easy. It was not all roses as there were challenging times like when we had to attend events after working hours as they were part of our campaigns. Also coming to the office as early as 7:30 am was not an easy thing to do.

A lot of the theory I learnt in class I came across it during my work experience and I applied .This include things like media release ,speeches ,media kits and media invites which I was dealing with almost on a daily basis.

During this internship, I have learnt that a PR person has to posses some qualities like being patient ,hardworking, friendly and willing to work longer hours( if the need arises like during a crisis etc).

Also a PR person should always be prepared for unforeseen circumstances and how to account for them. This is because, once we hosted an event at The Putrajaya Lake Club and it was an outdoor event, but because of unforeseen circumstances it started raining and we had to expeditiously make new arrangements for the event to be hosted inside, and all this was done just before the media and the VIP's arrived so there was no inconvenience caused to them.

I am so excited to graduate and go back to play my part in the growth development of the Public Relations sector in my country Botswana. This is because PR is still fairly new in Botswana and it is a great pleasure to be among the first batch of 'movers and shakers' in this field.

I wish you only the best of luck my fellow 'spindoctors' till we meet again this is goodbye for now.

Cheers,

Kealeboga Eole

3 comments:

Lulu said...

Wow, you did your placement at LimKokWing University. Not bad, this university was quite best, huh.

Anyway, it is great that you finally compete your 20 days for this subject. Soon I'll be completing mine. Hope you enjoy it and all the best in your upcoming future!! *Peace :)

Stellar K said...

Hi K,

Was great working with you! We both learnt very good valuable lessons and got to put what the lecturers taught us in practice.

The team was fantastic!

All the best yeah!

God bless!

Stellar...

Ms Eole said...

Hi Stellar and Lulu

Well, the university placement was quite convenient since I could come in between classes. I'm glad that i'm finally done although it was fine I was quite exhausted towards the end of the 20 days. It was nice working with you too Stellar,all the best in your future plans.

Cheers mates !