Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Great Experience!

Unfortunately this will be my last post. My time spent at Mongoose was a great experience. I’ve learnt that PR in the classroom can be very different from PR in the business world but yet similar. For one to work in PR they must have great patience as you will deal with a lot of people from different organizations. For the past six weeks have been working with a lot of spread sheets in which I had no knowledge of in the classroom. I’ve leant that there is NO room for mistakes in PR especially when I had to log into the spreadsheets of PR and Media invites.

Well my last week was very hectic as Mongoose has an event coming up, and the list of invites was endless. The event “World Press Photo (WPP)” it is an independent, non-profit organization based in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. Its mission is to stimulate the highest quality in photojournalism on an international scale, going beyond geographic, political and cultural boundaries.WPP is having an exhibition in Kuala Lumpur sponsored by TNT Express Malaysia (One of Mongoose clients) We had to invite relevant media channels who would be interested in attending this event (Again media prevailed vital for this event as in any other event) Mind you PR is also manual meaning my colleagues and I had to put the invites in more than 200 envelopes and NO mistakes were permitted. After the media list was a list of Mongoose invites, TNT Express and then World Press. And all of these contacts had to be logged in the Excel spreadsheets.

All can say is I’ve learnt a lot in Mongoose. In the Editorial where I had to write articles on a tight schedule and PR where I had to make sure everything was top notch. I’ve also learnt to work with different people from different nations, learnt to tolerate behaviors I wouldn’t dream of e.g one of my colleagues found it perfectly fine to burp in public. But I believe all the experiences will help me in the future, like always being on time; the office had a system/policy whereby anybody who was late by 10 minutes had to pay RM10 which would be part of the funds raised for unprivileged people like orphans. Hey what more can I say, Mongoose was my stepping stone to the corporate world!

1 comment:

lebo said...

Indeed it is a huge stepping stone.I think this is the perfect time for us to learn the difference between the corporate world and the world of classroom.I as one of your colleagues at Mongoose will definitely update u guys as to how the world press photo event is prevailing,but as to now ,there is no time to breathe.Good luck on your future and i hope that the corporate world has made you love PR more since now you know what is truly expected of you in this profession.All the best and it was a pleasure working with you.