Monday, March 14, 2011

Always be presentable

Not only to be presentable during PR presentations in class we also have to be as well as in field....One have to look good,presentable when in a p.r field..Unnecessary piercings,too much make- up,fancy mini clothing dont really work.But in most cases it depend on which company you are working for ,especially for private company those doesn't matter.
One day i came to work then my boss assigned me to attend a workshop where there were top officials of the Ministry of Education, so i had to rush there as i was well dressed and presentable and ready to do my work. All this i have learn from my PR modules that you never know when to meets with clients.
During registration, i stood up say my name and were I come from and to my surprise everyone was happy at me during the group discussion we had at the conference. They also thought that i am a full time but not an intern because of the confidence I had and interacting with them during the workshop that lasted for 3 days. In dealing with your clients you have to look presentable at all the time,in that way you are making them have hope in you and your company.
So all i can say is that in future learn to be presentable everyday you go to work as you will never know what can happen during the day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a very good advice Keitumetse i saw it myself when i was working that attire matters most, and how you present yourselves, that is exactly what it means by being multicultural, respect the people whom you are going to meet because you do not know their facets of life to avoid yourself being embarrassed by your fierce dressing which might not be acceptable in other societies.

Alicia luct said...

Very true Ms Marumo, dress code does play a vital role in organizations. I have learnt that you do not just wear anything when going to work and it differs from organization to organization. You also have to take into consideration aspects such as culture like here in Malaysia is a Muslim country though not everyone is Muslim thus the dress code is obviously different from the one in Botswana or other countries. As for me I faced the dress code issue once during my internship, came to work with a short dress, little did i know that my organization does not allow such dressing and my supervisor was not impressed at all but thanks now that i know what to wear.

Kellie Donnelly said...

This in an interesting topic for me. I am currently doing my internship at Sunset Events in Fremantle. They organise major music festivals like Stereosonic and Southbound. I was told before I started that the dress code was "casual" so I wore nice pants, a plain white sleveless shirt and flats, thinking I looked smart, but not too formal. I walked through the door and was greeted by my supervisor Janelle, wearing a summerdress and thongs. The directors of the company wear boardshorts and t-shirts, and no shoes most of the time. And this is fine, no problem with visiting guests or meetings. Its interesting to see how these things vary frm company to company, depending on the industry. Example, government compared to the music industry.

SarahJane said...

I wear a uniform to my placement (hotels group). All the managers wear free dress (professional free dress of course) and the lower administration staff wear uniforms. When ever we go into meetings/meet with clients both management and adminstration must be wearing a blazer and the name tag.

I was shocked to see that the hotel leased the uniform to work experience people, but it definatly pays off!

TamaraK said...

I completely agree that ensuring you are presentable every day when working in the PR field is essential. The dress code does often vary between organisations but in my experience when you are interning it pays to dress well.
I'm working at a school at the moment and dressing in a professional manner allows the staff to recognise me as a fellow staff member. I also traveled around the community while on the job and felt that as I was a representative of the school I had to present myself in a professional manner in order to reflect positively on the school.
I believe your public perception is influenced by the way you present yourself.