Thursday, March 10, 2011

FIRST THINGS FIRST

First week of 2011 was the was the week i met my employer for an interview. I was very excited to finally have a chance to experience life in the professional field. I first felt intimidated having to be the only female the office, thankfully the guys were kind to make sure i was comfortable around them.

I worked for a month with a company called Gevents, which is a sub-division of G. solutions. The company had no public relations personnel even though they were involved in a number of public relations activities. My supervisor warned me that he expected a lot from me because i had academic background on public relations while they did not; but he assured me he will be there to assist me all the way.

The week was busy as i was settling in, learning about the running of the company and trying to catch up with everybody. By the end of the week, i was given my first assignment: the company had a serious crisis, and i was to come up with a plan on how to tackle the crisis. I have to admit, the assignment scared me because i was still getting to learn about the company and i was afraid i was going to dissapoint my supervisor, but on the other hand, i was determined to prove myself to them, that they did right hiring me... and so work began.

2 comments:

Olebogeng Montshojang (LUCT) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Olebogeng Montshojang (LUCT) said...

Interesting, most of the time when people expect a lot from you, never disappoint them. Show your abilities together with knowledge gained in class, it was time to put theory into practice.

Well talking about crisis management, I believe that assignment to come-up with special measures to solve a problem was quite challenging to you. This requires serious attention to minimize any damage to company's reputation.

I understand that it is not easy to solve crisis but it is always easy when the crises management team comes together to find different solutions to tackle the problem. Identifying a problem and finding good strategies to fix the problem as early as possible. Make right decisions that will benefit the organisation and the public.

"Be prepared" all the time because crisis are like natural disasters, they come unexpectedly. But I believed you enjoyed your placement.