Sunday, April 17, 2011

Look at me go!

Hi everyone,

This is my second blog (I almost forgot completley about blogging since I've been so busy). For the new readers, my name is Meredith and I'm at Curtin uni in Perth, undertaking my placement at Socialite Media in West Perth. Let me just say, this placement is getting better and better by the day. I feel so priveleged and motivated to be working at a business that is a pioneer of its industry. Knowing that Socialite Media is the first of its kind in WA is brilliant, and makes me want to work even harder. For those who don't know, this company is owned by Perth millionaire and media identity Zhenya Tsvetnenko. I am yet to meet him, but apparently he drops into the office every now and then! Zhenya has appeared all over the media quite recently, in interviews with Sky News Business, Today & Tonight, Sunday Night, and some others, which is very exciting.

My most recent task at work is to redesign the Socialite Media's website, including re-writing the content and any other changes to the imagery. This was a big task to hand over to the intern, but has given me another opportunity to prove myself, and cement my job once I've graduated.

As a very small team of 6 girls (two of which are interns), we all get along brilliantly and the energy in the room is very productive. We all help each other and brainstorm regularly. Last Thursday at our weekly meeting, I had the opportunity to present for the week's "learning session". The purpose of this is to research what is new or popular in social media, or something we don't all know yet, and to educate the group on it. My presentation was about the new search engine called Quora, which is a combination of Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and Wikipedia.
These learning sessions are really helpful, since we are the leaders of social media and are running big business' social media accounts, we need to be up to date with what is going on.

Working at Socialite Media two days a week, as well as working in retail (we all need money don't we?) two days a week, and completing my final semester of my degree is proving to be very tiring. But as I mentioned earlier, knowing that I am in a company that is the first of its kind in WA is incredibly motivating, and I look forward to each day there.

Speak to you all soon :)

Meredith

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Meredith, great job with your placement- I saw this picture posted on the Socialite Media FB the other day of your presentation!

http://tiny.cc/t1yk3

Good on you for making the most of your placement and learning about Digital Media through this opportunity! It seems like a great working environment.

Chantelle :)

Anisha Gaya said...

Hello Meredith,

I am Anisha Gaya from Charles Telfair Institute, Mauritius. I am doing my final week of internship at the Central Water Authority(CWA), a governmental company in Mauritius, in charge of all issues concerning water in the Island.
Well, seeing your post, I am handling a common issue, that of redesigning the company's (CWA) website!!The matter is that i don't know NOTHING about Website stuffs!But nevertheless i have proposed myself capable of doing the task!!which is indeed a good challenge for myself. Actually i am to provide a sample of a website that they could develop in the following weeks. Knowing nothing about websites, I am still repenting and a bit stressed about how to be able to do it. Fortunately I got a friend who shall be able to help me a bit. Still if you could let me know how you managed yours I shall appreciate.
Thanks;)

Meredith Arns said...

Hi Anisha!

Sorry for the delayed response - I only saw your post now!

Well thankfully for me I didnt really have to get into the technical side of the redevelopment process, in terms of code writing and the real in-depth stuff (we leave that to the pros!)

What I was in charge of was simply giving the pages a refreshing change, which meant new font, new titles, new graphics and new written content. The way I designed it to show to my boss was to screen-grab the original web page and make my alterations on Microsoft Powerpoint so that I could set out slide-by-slide what changes I had made to the existing web site.

Once the boss approved my changes and new design she sent it off to the companies webpage designer and they will take over from there!

Hope this was a little bit helpful for you, or I hope you had success in your task!

Meredith :)