My final blog now!
The last few weeks of my prac have consisted of a lot of recruiting and informing volunteers of their roles on the day of the HBF Run For a Reason. My co-worker, Bob, and I spent a morning at ECU Joondalup talking to a Sports Science class about volunteering as prac students or volunteering at the HBF Run For a Reason with TriEvents. During this hour, I gave a small speech to the students about my work with TriEvents over the past few weeks and how my prac has been a fantastic experience for me. I spoke to the students about the networks I have made in the Sports Events Management industry since I began working with TriEvents and how working in the “real world” is something I have gained much more knowledge from than working in a tutorial.
One student from this class is now doing her prac studies with me and she has been assisting me with making phone calls and recruiting more volunteers. Ashley and I have updated databases and emailed hundreds of people detailing briefing times for the volunteers and their times and locations on the day of the WA event. The next couple of weeks before the big event are full on, as we recruit final volunteers and get busy placing them along the course.
To be involved in such a respected and well-liked Sports Events Management organisation as TriEvents was a great benefit for me as I learnt so much more in a real life environment than I have in previous semesters in class. Being asked to work with TriEvents as a casual staff member after my prac days had finished was an honour for me and I have thoroughly enjoyed being the Volunteer Co-ordinater for the HBF Run For a Reason.
It took me a little bit of time initially to adjust to the environment in the TriEvents office (understanding the personalities and positions of my colleagues), however the satisfaction of being appointed a relatively large project and being given so much responsibility has been great experience for me in this industry.
I can’t wait for the Run For a Reason (Sunday 22nd May)..it is set be a fantastic event! Having some real life experience has been fantastic for not only my degree but also for my confidence – to be able to walk into an office and meet new people every week has been great for me.
I hope you have all enjoyed your prac experiences, and thanks for sharing mine with me!
Mel
1 comment:
Hi Mel,
Your placement sounds amazing, I am also doing events management and I love it. I always love to see what industry people are working in when it comes to events because it is just so widespread. You can work anywhere from entertainment to sports and then even to mining, which is where I am.
I’m glad to hear you got a helper, it so much easier when you have someone there to share the load, especially when it’s a big event like the one you are planning. You really should feel very proud of yourself as they wouldn’t have given you so much responsibility if they didn’t feel you could handle it!
I hope you stay on with them and plan more events in the future, it sounds awesome!
Good luck on the 22nd May!
Post a Comment