Welcome to PR Internship - YOUR opportunity to put everything you have learned over the past years at university into practice and to get a thorough insight into what public relations is like "in the real world". This Blog allows you to reflect on your experiences, share insights with other students across campuses and to possibly give advice and support to fellow students. Please also see http://http://printernship-reflections2.blogspot.com.au/ for more reflections.
Thursday, May 19, 2011
EVENTS
I used to think that planning for events was a simple thing, just a matter of sitting down and writing a few things but trust me its not an easy thing. My supervisor told me that they have been planning for an event for a full year and I actually thought she wasn't be honest. But during the period of the event I believed her because it was a very big event, 2 weeks long. I realized that events need serious planning. You have to consider a lot of things when planning an event. Factors like place does matter. Our event was in a very big place, PWTC but still there were long lines as there a lot of people. So guys take your time in future and plan your events perfectly. Who would want their event to be a failure? I guess we would all want our events to be a success but remember It comes with a price, hard work.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hi Alicia,
I think your internship certainly helped you to understand the real society. I totally understood events planning is not an easy job. I am working for cbsplus at Curtin University, we just done 3 events in 7 days. It was extremely tired and worried, but it was fun.
The week before those events, we still didn't have enough people to sign up. I think this is the key challenge for event planning. There is no point to create an event but no one come to enjoy. Therefore I had done at least 5 in-class promotions in a day. Although I was so afraid to speak in front of hundred people, I love to get more people to involve. It does not matter how well you plan for event, if no one join. The event will not success at all. This is the real challenge, that's why your supervisor said event planning could take an year.
Good Luck
regards,
Yik Ming Wong
Alicia,
I completely understand where you are coming from. I am working at Rocky Bay at the moment. They are a not-for-profit organisation that provides services to people with disabilities.
A large proportion of the work carried out by the marketing department related to events, as events is one of their main fundraising techniques.
Personally I didn't have too much to do with the planning aspects as I concentrated on promotion, but I can tell you these ladies were planning a one-day corporate golf day for months. Venues, food and drink, sponsors, silent auctions, an mc. So many aspects of the night which need to be taken care and can be taken for granted until you actually sit down and really think about it.
Anyhow, we can now both appreciate how much work really goes in to some of these events we see on TV.
Goodluck with everything.
Ben
Post a Comment