Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Good to meet different people around

Hey everyone,

When I walked in to the office yesterday, one of the teams were having a meeting. They were worried about the location for an event called “Leadership Roundtable, and the selected location was too dark for the event. The choice of location for events plays an important role of the event’s success, as the events represents Curtin University.

Everything for the event were organized, the guest speakers, the attendees and the food are prepared but all this are imperfect without a good location. The team thought of bringing their personal lights to make the location brighter. However this idea did not work as the event’s location was at Building 211, the study centre for aboriginal.

I am also a Film and Television student, so I figured that I could borrow lights from the equipment store at the School of MCCA [Media, Culture and Creative Art]. I couldn’t guarantee that they will borrow the lights to me, but it deserved a try.

Then I went to FTV department straight away, and spoken to the production coordinator, the manager of FTV, head of FTV and also store manager for permission to loan the lights. Fortunately, I knew them during my FTV course, and they were keen to loan the lights to me for my confidence in using them as a third year student.

But another question came up as I set up the lighting on the day of event. The “Leadership Roundtable” team were busy preparing their speech, and there wasn’t manpower to help with the set ups, and some of them don’t have related experience. I feel so proud that I am a FTV student, which I could use my experience in a studio to manage this the set ups. I know exactly how to do the floor planning, the lighting planning and risk management at this event. Besides spending around 2 hours to set up all the lights and keep the cables out of sight, I was also the photographer for the event.

It does not matter I am “Leadership Roundtable” team member or not, I am still willing to help them, because we work as a team for cbsplus. And I felt happy that my skills, my experience and my networking could help the event, as I never thought that PR and FTV could be related.

No comments: