After my trip up to the mines I started doing regular work in the office. I was brought in by Sara to help out with general chores around the office. The first set of this consisted largely of organizing a bunch of award envelopes for the 2011 Employee Service Awards which are part of the resource division awards.
Basically I had to go through the company employee lists, work out who had been with the company for more than 10, 15 or 20 years, and mail them an invitation to the award ceremony so they can be honoured in front of the entire company.
This was one of the less interesting jobs I took part in during my time at work experience, but it was a classic example of something that the communications department (especially at a lower level) handle at HWE, where the communications
department pretty much act as the human resources for the entire company, and the human resources just sort out disputes and don't actually take part in any of the honouring or other jobs that involve actually giving praise to workers.
I also met with Megan (head of the communications) to discuss the company creating a more transparent image, where employees feel more comfortable approaching them for work. Believe it or not, for such a big company, they actually get almost zero work experience requests, and have a low retention rate amongst employees. We agreed that an online blogging system would be a good idea to set up for the company, to help them have a more friendly public image and encourage more communication with outside external publics, who currently have no relationship with the organisation at all.
I'll post again with the last segment of work I did with the company.
No comments:
Post a Comment