Tuesday, May 24, 2011

MEDIA DEEMED AS PUBLIC RELATIONS ENEMY


Times are rapidly changing, we see the world being connected via modern day technology, and the geographical location has been bridged by the introduction of social networks. It is not everyone that does acknowledge or realize the power invested in the social networks.

Social networks are the modern day media, i say this because media has a wide reach out to the masses and influences them, so does the social networks. Internationally we see organizations taking advantage of the social networks using them to communicate and reach out to their stakeholders. It’s a pity that some organizations deem social networks as a total waste of time and not a potential mean of communication that reaches out to masses and has the power to influence them.

I believe until leaders and employees in such organizations change their thoughts about social networks they will not benefit from them but rather suffer at their hands for they underestimate their ability. please feel free to share your views...

5 comments:

Kendall said...

It is a coinicidence that I just read your post because I was just writing some similiar thoughts within my final report.

I agree with you that many organisations underestimate the power of social media. At my placement they are beginning to use more social media in interacting with their stakeholders, but more knowledge of how and when to use it needs to be gained.

I believe that social media is a benefit to organisations (particularly not-for-profit) as it is cheap to use and cheap to run.

Management, using more traditional forms of communication need to start focusing on the value of social media and stop concentrating on the risks, and then they will see what an asset it can be.

Kendall

TamaraK said...

I also completely agree with you! Organisations should really start to become involved in social media as it is an incredibly powerful communication tool that can connect people from across the world all in one forum.

During my placement at a college they were just starting to bring in social media as a community relations tool.
It is especially helpful when organising reunions as many of the past students don't live in Australia anymore. It allows them to remain in contact with the college and recconect with people they may not have heard from since their years as a student. It can also allow them to keep track of their collegian's sucesses and perhaps use these to reflect positively on the college.

Daniella said...

It is so funny that I saw your comment as I had just written a recommendation in my report about using social media more.

I never really understood the impact that social medias had until I started working without them, and actually paid attention to those organisations who used them regularly.

It is unbelievable how the world relies on social medias these days. Everything is posted on YouTube and Facebook.

In essence I agree with you, but only because an organisation who does not take advantage of social medias simply cannot compete with an organisation or business that does.

king said...

I agree with u Mr Kgabo that companies tend to drag their feet when it comes to social media. During my placement i was surprised that the organization did not allow the use of social media within their premises. I discussed the issue with my manager and she understood because as i speak the organization just started communicating through social media.

NOMSA said...

Denting on the same boat as to lacking behind or avoidance of social media by our organisations. Under carefull scrutiny i came to a point where i questioned the power that could actualy be invested in the public by this organisations utilising social mediums. Can we say the power of social media can actually harm our organisations more especially that they are lacking behind with technological developments. Knowing our country, social media ca be used as a tool of attack and rather than bridging the gap.