So this is my last blog and it’s ending on a happy note, I signed my contract today and as of the 13th June I will be a full-time events management consultant at Platform! Over the last few months I have learnt a lot about not only PR but the corporate world. There are times when you have to make scarifies to further you’re career and even though sometimes its not desirable I personally think its better to ‘go the hard yards’ when you are younger and reap the benefits when you are older
.
When I signed my contract I thought back over my time at university and I really do believe that everything I have learnt has been extremely useful. The tools we learn even in our first year are concepts I use today. The only thing I might have done differently is I would have done more work experience, it really is unbelievable helpful. Personally my employer hasn’t even seen my grades, but she loved that I had some industry knowledge as I ran an event over the summer break earlier this year.
I have experienced challenging situations and have worked my way through them with the support of my co-workers. I have learnt that you need to surround yourself with motivating people you work well with. Having a director that gives you advice and feedback is so helpful and without the proper two way communication you can be left feeling lost and slightly useless.
I am looking forward to starting off in a consultancy and working my way into an in-house firm. I am slightly nervous about working full-time as I’ve spent the last three years being a university student and sleeping until 10am most mornings. I keep reminding myself that everyone else has to get up at 7am so I shouldn’t complain!
Well I think that’s all folks….Good luck to everyone on their search for a job, I will hopefully work with some of you one day!
2 comments:
hey Sally,
your placement sounds interesting, as you mentioned, hard work pays,what you went through during your placement teaches more about what we do and what you do not want to do in life. our career paths are not in a straight line but we have to start off some where and become successful people we always dream of. our vision of our ideal jobs is really a guess of what we want to do, working hard at it moulds us to gain the trust and respect we want. its a good thing you found your path. the funny thing about life is find out that the work we going is not what we want but in your case,in your case., i salute you.good luck in your career and congratulations on the contract.
Hi Sally,
First of all - good luck! Its amazing that you signed a contract!
Secondly, I would just like to comment on a point you mentioned in your post. You expressed how you wished you had had more work experience. I couldn't agree with you more. I also felt like I wish I had taken more opportunities and had more experience. The truth is university marks are good, but that is not what employees are really looking for. They are looking for hands on experience and someone who knows what they are doing.
Once again good luck!
Post a Comment