Thursday, May 26, 2011

PR world

To prepare for success in a public relations job, it’s imperative to develop the ability to catch basic errors before submitting work to a boss. After all, how can a supervisor promote you if you can’t be trusted to adequately proof your work?

Attention to detail takes on a whole new meaning when you’re just starting out — and working not only to establish yourself as a professional but also to separate yourself being a student.

During my internship I realize that I had a lot to prove, that I was not only better but that I have learned a lot and want to put it into practice. It’s crucial for me as I was reporting to the secretary of state. Therefore no rooms for error, I had to make sure my work was on time and up to the level.

But I realize that just like any habit, once it sticks, you’re set — and it only happens after repeated effort and being held to high standards time and time again.

I would like to share some advice to all my pr colleagues. Please proof read your work, have a friend read your work with fresh eyes to specifically check for basic errors. Never be scared to ask for help.

1 comment:

Rory Garton Smith said...

Another thing that should be taken into account is when you are writing on a laptop, your fingers have a tendency to accidentally brush against the mouse-pad and move the cursor position on the screen.

If you are looking down and focusing on your typing, you won't notice that you're suddenly typing sentences into other paragraphs on the screen away from where they should be!

Happens to me regularly, probably the worst thing ever. So, yes! Proof read your work or risk ridicule!