The most interesting part of my internship overall was getting to experience the importance of communication in an organization- internal and external communication is very vital to an organizations progress, so a mutual understanding created by the public relations officer and the two parties is needed. When focusing on internal communication, “It is difficult to separate the effect of internal communication from other effects on organizational performance, but research show there is a link between internal communication and company performance as I learnt from (Kim Harrison, 2001, pg 188)
I experienced this as in princess marina hospital there is an internal communication scheme where frequently involve them in extra events catered for them like sports tournaments (soccer/netball as seen here)
and awards where annually employees get acknowledged. These activities create that bond between the employees and create an effective working environment as the employees are motivated by being recognized in their efforts.
2 comments:
Max,
I completely understand you when you say communication is one of the most vital parts of the PR workforce. I did my prac at an Events Management company however I was able to understand the need for communication within the organisation. This, as you said, certainly increases the performance of the organisation and employees waste less time attempting to figure out things that someone else has already covered. I'm glad your prac has been effective, hope you enjoyed it!
Mel
I agree with the both of you, communication is a must in PR.Therefore internal communication is also very important to every consultancy/organisation. It can be in the form of written,verbal/non verbal interaction between co-workers, it encourages cooperation, team work and collaboration. As for the extra curricular events, like the football tournament you mentioned, it can be good for workers to get to know each other and interact with each other outside the office. Great ideas can come out of such a relaxed and interactive environment. Sports are very good at promoting teamwork and communication.
Post a Comment