Sunday, May 15, 2011

Universally Speaking

Hey all,


It's been a little while since I last posted, and so so much has changed in that time! Due to some re-shuffling in the office, I was offered a temporary position as a Promotions Coordinator in the Melbourne office of Universal Music. The position lasted for one month, during which time I feel as though I learnt more than I had during my entire 3 months as an intern.


Rather than being on the cusp of the company, I was thrown into the mix as a full time member of the staff, dealing with the media and liaising with the other offices around the country. Fortunately for me, we had some high-profile artists on tour during that time, which gave me plentiful opportunity to experience parts of the industry only come alive for big acts.


While there were many highlights for me, one of my favourite moments was working on a "Meet and Greet" for Justin Bieber at Rod Laver Arena. For a tour of this profile, the Director of Publicity - International Artists was flown in from Sydney to supervise publicity surrounding the event, and it was like nothing I have ever experienced before. Bieber fever was certainly in the air, and all of a sudden I was faced with mega fans that were so full of anticipation and excitement, they literally could not contain it. If you saw any of the Bieber press during his time in Australia, you might be able to gauge how intense these fans were. My responsibility was separating the competition winners (those with wrist bands) from those who were hanging around trying to sneak into the Meet and Greet. Security was incredibly strict around this event, and people were everywhere. Ultimately, we found that it was necessary to be firm and explain to the fans that this was a pre-organised event, where no other people would be admitted. After several attempts at this, security intervened and separated the crowd. During this it was incredibly important to keep a cool head and not be swayed by the teary eyed girls (and mothers) who wanted to be a part of it.


Luckily for me, I was able to watch the actual Meet and Greet, and my boss was kind enough to take a photo!

Although I am continuing my position at Universal after this unit is over, I feel as though it took a unit like this to really force me to think about where I want to head with my career and what it means to take on Public Relations as a career.

Anyway, I'm going to sign off for now...and continue editing my report, but I hope you have all enjoyed your placements as much as I have enjoyed mine.

Until next time,

Katey 

2 comments:

Courtney Treak said...

Katey, what a great placement! Sounds like you had a fantastic time. Best wishes for your future in PR! Courtney

Ben said...

Katey,

Sounds really awesome. Great pic of the biebster himself.

On a PR front, Universal sounds like a great work environment for a placement. Personally I want to pursue a career which deals with the media, whether that be in journalism or PR.

A place like Universal would be amazing because I imagine the media actually takes an interest in what you are doing- as opposed to a lot of other PR jobs where you are trying to get the attention of the media to promote your organisation.

Plus I guess there is the added bonus of getting to meet mega stars like Justin Bieber.

Katey I hope your enjoying Universal. No doubt you would be.

Speak to you soon.

Ben