Well, This is Day 21 of my placement...so I have officially made the requirement to pass this unit. I'm not finishing up here until next week, because next weekend is Groovin the Moo. Which is the final festival of the season for Sunset Events. So I will spend next week helping put the final touches on everything, then head down to Bunbury (Funbury!) for the event next week. I don't mind staying on for a couple extra days.
I don't mind at all. I have finally started feeling comfortable here at Sunset Events. I read some blogs from another student who did their placement here and didn't have a great time. And I can understand. It's taken me 2 months of being here 3 days a week to actually feel like I am part of the company, and not just an outsider. But I suppose that is what happens in any workplace when you start a new job. It takes time to adjust, learn how the company operates, understand your role and that of those around you, and for everyone else to get to know you. Like starting a new school for the first time. There were times when I would sit at my desk here and feel bad for having to constantly ask if I could help with something because I was so bored out of my brain. And there were other times when I was busy, SO busy all day and really left feeling satisfied at being productive and making a difference.
I have discovered that all offices have those days where not much happens, and you spent a lot of time on Facebook, or Googling "puppies". I can honestly say that having been here for 2 months has REALLY taught me a lot more about the workforce than classes ever prepared me for. I feel a lot more prepared for a job in the real world now. And no, I'm not just saying that because we are supposed to. It took me a few weeks to really start enjoying my placement, and now that I have started loving it, its time to leave. But it has made me very excited for the possibilities for employment in the near future. Not to mention terrified as well. Everyday I go online and check out new job listings, then become disheartened when I see that every single one has a minimum experience requirement. But for the time being, nothing can extinguish the excitement I have for being launched into the grown up world with a degree, and some real life experience.
I don't mind at all. I have finally started feeling comfortable here at Sunset Events. I read some blogs from another student who did their placement here and didn't have a great time. And I can understand. It's taken me 2 months of being here 3 days a week to actually feel like I am part of the company, and not just an outsider. But I suppose that is what happens in any workplace when you start a new job. It takes time to adjust, learn how the company operates, understand your role and that of those around you, and for everyone else to get to know you. Like starting a new school for the first time. There were times when I would sit at my desk here and feel bad for having to constantly ask if I could help with something because I was so bored out of my brain. And there were other times when I was busy, SO busy all day and really left feeling satisfied at being productive and making a difference.
I have discovered that all offices have those days where not much happens, and you spent a lot of time on Facebook, or Googling "puppies". I can honestly say that having been here for 2 months has REALLY taught me a lot more about the workforce than classes ever prepared me for. I feel a lot more prepared for a job in the real world now. And no, I'm not just saying that because we are supposed to. It took me a few weeks to really start enjoying my placement, and now that I have started loving it, its time to leave. But it has made me very excited for the possibilities for employment in the near future. Not to mention terrified as well. Everyday I go online and check out new job listings, then become disheartened when I see that every single one has a minimum experience requirement. But for the time being, nothing can extinguish the excitement I have for being launched into the grown up world with a degree, and some real life experience.
3 comments:
Hi Kellie
That is awesome you are enjoying your placement.
There are defiantly the odd slow day in the office, I have had a couple. I know what you mean by being intimidated to go up to your manager and interrupting them. Even if they are the nicest person and don’t mind being approached, I also feel bad for asking when their workload is full on.
It is good that you get to see Grooving the Moo out till the end; I only do one day a week at my placement so I have also been able to be a part of projects from start to finish and it is really rewarding.
I do envy that you have the time to be at your placement three days a week, as a suspect that is a big contributor to why you now feel so comfortable in the office. Going in once a week, can feel like you are starting from scratch every week.
Enjoy Grooving the Moo!
Hi Kellie,
What an awesome placement you have had, and how exciting to be able to stay on for the end.
I also did my placement doing 3, to three and a half days a week, sometimes even the full week...and ended up doing more than the 20 days.
I also had days where I was bored out of my brain, and other days where I was given so much work I stressed I wouldnt be able to finish it on time.
I think doing more days in the week does make you feel more a part of the work force, as you are across all the latest updates and changes...I found it also meant that I worked through the work set for me at a much quicker rate than expected- and although I thought this would be a plus- I was told to make myself busy at times- as everyone else was too busy to set another task.
In the end I found myself organising and filing, just so that I was remembered as someone who worked independently and used initiative- rather than someone who was sitting there looking bored.
Enjoy your last event and good luck in the job hunting!
I can understand at the start of your placement it would be very overwhelming expecially in such a well established and well-known events organisation. One of my friends previously did their placement at Sunset Events and they did not enjoy it as they were constantly feeling overwhelmed and treated like they were totally at the bottom of the food chain.
For me as my placement was at an organisation with all volunteers it would be very different as they are only there because they want to be and they absolutely love what they are doing. All the same, we all know experience is invaluable and atleast we have taken the first steps towards a great career
Post a Comment