Thursday, June 2, 2011

Entering the Realm of Public Relations - My exciting journey so far!

Dear all

Welcome to my first entry of blogging on my internship life in the PR field.... First of all i had an issue regarding my internship which required me to find a new one late on in the semester.... well rather late than never.. and in this entry i will share my insight in how it has been to work in this exciting line of work..

I am lucky to be part of a renowned PR organisation called Imagine Communications - they are prominent in the Mauritian market, having large clients such as Air Mauritius, Omnicane (sugar productions, energy productions and agriculture) , Indian Oil amongst many others.

The organization handles, PR and press support, market research, consultancy, event and crisis management.

To be honest Studying PR theoretically was always an interesting aspect to studies at University. However being inside an office working with a communication team and being responsible for handling real life clients and doing media liaison was definitely a daunting task to me at first.

With a bit of briefing, and practice I started feeling much more at ease after my first week of work. Just because I am an intern does not mean things are taken for granted, there is an understanding that whilst the aspect of university may require various elements of spoon feeding, I had to step outside that box and start taking more initiative…

Tomorrow is going to be a major day for Imagine Communications as they are holding a media event which is marking their 20th anniversary being in the Mauritian market and various stakeholders, clients, the media and important people will be part of this landmark occasion. Being part of the crew managing the logistics and preparations to this event was amongst my first and biggest project for the organization so far.. Going into this has required much prudent preparation, coordination and ensuring things go according to schedule. I have also been given the surprising task to act as master of ceremony for this event which to me is certainly a privilege and requires me to face any daunting issues I may have had with real life scenarios! This is as real as it gets to me and tomorrow will definitely be a good test to handling a large audience… so hopefully it will be a night which runs smoothly and is something I can positively share back with all of you in my next blog post!

Take care everyone : ) wish me luck !

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi There

I just wanted the chance to tell you that I loved your blog and it understand completely. First of all, I know how wonderful it feels to get the kind of placement where you are proud to be working there so I get that to a T. Second, I know how daunting it can be being given tasks and feeling scared that you may not be able to meet expectations. However, there is nothing better than actually doing so!

It sounds as though your event was really exciting, albiet a lot of pressure for you. I am guessing though despite your nerves and possible reservations, you left it feeling exhilirated in a way that only professional growth can offer.

We are all starting at the bottom of the industry, that is a given. That being said, as you get given responsibiliy at your placement and get the chance to really develop those skills you have been learning, it truly is a fantastic time in your life.

Congratulations on your placement it sounds like a great one! I will be blogging for another week or so and I cannot wait to hear more.

All the best

Jem

iGooner said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
iGooner said...

Hello Jemma thanks for your encouraging feedback : )

I will be making a post very soon in regard to how my event went. In a nutshell the event went very well and i was even praised by people for doing a decent job at the master of ceremony role, what was satisfying was too see positive publicity in the press regarding the event, and some nice pictures and even my name mentioned in the paper : ) So undoubtedly i feel happy at being able to add this to my internship report. Im gonna check out the progress of your internship now as it seems that also you have had some positive insight with your placement