With my internship drawing nearly to its conclusion, i can safely say that my knowledge of PR has vastly improved by doing this module. Having gone through the different PR modules at University, we were only painted an overview of what to expect.
However saying that I would definately be somewhat even more loss and less at ease had i not known what PR was really about.
I call this the misconcieved profession because lets face it, i have talked to a lot of people who have a brief idea of PR but do they really know what it entails. The profession is a lot more vast than people would expect. I can see this as an industry which is gaining more and more attention. It certainly is a growing profession and perhaps in the next decade every business entity will see the need to invest a lot more in this particular department!
As almost graduates we should be worthy advocates of this profession and inculcate the positive values that PR can really project towards; building relationships, implemeningt positive vibrations to stakeholders, promoting social responsibility and so on. The stereotype of PR being 'spin doctoring' is arguably unjustifiable and far from being the truth.
Being in a communication establishment has given me a better perception of the profession and i look forward to pursuing a career further in this industry.
Tomorrow i will be attending my first media press conference for Air Mauritius, i look foward to enhancing my learning ! Will keep you guys updated in my next entry
Take Care
- Mishal Reebye
14109962
1 comment:
Hi there, I just wanted to say I completely agree with you about PR. We have learned so much over the last three years and after doing placements, it really all starts to finally make sense. It's like putting together pieces of a puzzle. Certainly, relationships, strong communication, strong listening skills and engagement with the news process is essential to being a great PR practitioner. I also agree that many people have a misguided notion of what it is PR practitioners actually do.
I wanted to tell you, I love your blogs, I actually responded to one of your early ones but cannot find it now. However, I was just saying how interesting your placement sounded. It really is interesting to hear about other people's experiences in various industries. Good luck for the future.
Jemma Thomson
Post a Comment