Me as Master of Ceremony @ Imagine
20th Anniversary
In my first blog post, i talked about how the placement i am working at was holding a media event to mark its 20 years being in the industry. I am lucky in a way to have joined the workplace at a time when the planning process of the event was of priority and that i got to be part of the team that manages the logistical aspects and prudent pre planning that goes into executing any event. Some of the planning process involved sending invitations to stakeholders, media, making a lot of phone calls to make sure titles and names were correctly spelt as well as informing people that this event was taking place. Other initiatives included making sure archives of press clippings and photographs were all scanned and compiled properly for the purpose of creating a slideshow to be shown throughout the night of the event.
The purpose of the event was: To thank clients and stakeholders for their ongoing support throughout the 20 years, to give awards to some long serving loyal employees and to launch the Revamped website of the organization in two different languages: English and Mauritian Creole
I was asked by the boss to be the master of ceremony. As daunting and exciting as this idea was, seeing as the media was present and a lot of VIP’s and ministers , it was a chance to take initiative. I am happy to report that the media event went extremely well and our team did a wonderful job in making sure everything went as smoothly as possible! Trust me, it is quite a stress to plan an event, but its one of those stresses that give you a buzz of excitement.
By the end of the night we all enjoyed a well deserved drink , cut a cake and celebrated 20 years to our organization being in the Public Relations industry. It is also worth mentioning the placement I am at ‘Imagine Communications’ was a pioneer in the Mauritian market for being the first official PR company which set the path for the role and need for the Public Relations industry to gain attention.
The post event lead to various media coverage from television news, newspapers and magazines, the publicity was thankfully positive. We got to have our picture in the press and for me specially it was something of a pleasant surprise to see my name included in the newspaper and recognized as the MC of the night and have my internship acknowledged in the press. I certainly look forward to any future event plans!
3 comments:
Hello Mishal
I guess you are having a great time with the placement and in fact the most interesting and challenging part of it is organising events.This is actually where you ,on one side, put forward everything you learned during your 3 years course ; dealing with the media and stakeholders and making sure everything run smooth and on the other side 'improvise' and see what is real world.Lucky you,your boss trusted you enough to ask you to be master of ceremony and take initiatives.I think that trust,self-esteem,good work atmosphere is what can make a placement become more fruitful.
Moreover,the launching of a website in a more local context is interesting and support the fact that PR actually has to fit local context/culture and not only be as told in books or by PR gurus.You mentionned teamwork,this is such a tool when you work in PR field.
Hope you make the most of your internship.
Regards
Loveleen :)
Wow.. being given these responsibilities and the chance to develop such skills at your placement is something to be very proud of!
Well done Mishal!
You are very lucky to have been given this opportunity. Make the most of your placement and enjoy every bit of it because this is a stepping stone for you to excel in your PR career :)
All the best with your report!
Mansha
Hi Mishal
I'm so glad the event went well!! I read your blog leading up it and I was as impressed then as I am now at you being willing to take on such a responsibility. Nice work! I too have felt fear in my placement but I think it's like that old book, "Feel the Fear and Do it Anyway". Sometimes in life, especially when you are trying to learn and build a career, you have to grab whatever opportunities come your way. If you don't you'll most certainly regret it. I am so happy for you. Congratulations again. You really should be proud of yourself.
Kind Regards
Jemma Thomson
Post a Comment