Tuesday, June 7, 2011

There will be days like this!

Hi everyone


Perhaps to some of you, my title suggests a bad day, but if anyone remembers the song, which is a great one, it actually refers to good days.


This year has been a year of paperwork for me. As I am sure it has for many of you. I changed my last name so my degree would match my future married name (yes I got engaged!) so there's that and all the paperwork that goes with it. Then, the intention to graduate, change of personal details, assignments, job applications, cover letters, emails, reports, work at DCA, resumes and the list goes on. Sorry to bore you all. However, these are all positive things that I could not be happier about. This morning I had a whole lot of paperwork to hand in and get certified and it was the easiest process it has been in a long time. Wonderful! That is not the best part though so please let me tell you why my day was so great.


I had to email my ex-supervisor from DCA (she is temporarily working in the minister's office) to advise her of my name change, as she is a referee for me. She sends me back a fantastic email telling me how impressed she and my current supervisor have been with me. She tells me that she and my supervisor were talking the other day about the excellent skills I have displayed in such a short period of time and how they are trying to find me a position at DCA!!


My heart leaped. I later spoke to my supervisor about my name change, as she is also a referee and she mentions the same conversation. Apparently, they are really happy with my work-ethic and standard and have asked if I wanted to stay on a little longer (while I job hunt) to see if they can find me something. I am so excited. I was actually going to ask to stay a bit longer regardless. Why not? Now with the possibility of a job, even a short term one is brilliant.


To be honest, even if they are unable to find a position for me, it is completely okay. These two wonderful, smart and experienced ladies believe in me and that means a lot to me. They are also my top referees. This means if anyone calls them regarding a reference for me, it should be well-received.


I am absolutely thrilled!! The job market is competitive and it can be hard constantly sending out resumes and waiting for responses. I see this as a huge vote of confidence and possibly a great opportunity to work somewhere I already love.


Today I was given some information to write a media release and I will be calling journalists to promote the story. My supervisor said she wants to start giving me more responsibility. Although we all have moments of doubt, I see this as a fantastic opportunity to learn and improve my skills.


What is it they say in the song? "When there's a smile on my face, they'll be days like this, when everything falls into place, well my mama told me, they'll be days like this." That really sums it up for me today. It is so important to be thankful for the great days because they more than make up for the bad ones.


Take care

Jem


1 comment:

iGooner said...

First of all congratulations on your engagement!sounds like a real hassle to get all the paper work sorted lol, us guys have it easy with the whole keeping the last name thing :p

Seems like you made quite the impression at your workplace! always good to be given responsibility

I too am in a similar situation where my work has been quite fulfilling and as my internship is coming to an end in a week, i was thinking whether i should just carry on a little longer. Its been useful for me as its giving me better insight everyday to the world of PR

Good luck for your future endeavors